1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

"Pine slabs for burning in outdoor wood stove" hmm....

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Slow1, Nov 19, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Hmm... I wonder what exactly is being sold here... $30/cord seems like a good price.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/1458533218.html

==============
    pine forewood for outdoor wood stove - $90 (douglas)

Date: 2009-11-09, 4:20PM EST
    Reply to: sale-s8u9u-1458533218@craigslist.org [Errors when replying to ads?]

Pine slabs for burning in outdoor wood stove. $30 a cord with a 3 cord minmum. Will deliver for free within a 10 mile radius. Cash only.

===============

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Gary_602z

Gary_602z Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Lake Odessa,MI
    Probably a face cord.

Gary
  3. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Could be a full cord because it is only slabwood. Some burn it but it burns up fast. Most slabwood you are buying mostly bark. $90 actually sounds high for that.
  4. Dune

Dune Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Commonwealth Of Massachussetts
    Yeah but it is $90 for three cords. That is not a good deal?
  5. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Michigan
    Whoops. Read that wrong. $30 per cord is about the going rate for hardwoods. Never seen just pine slabs for sale.
  6. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    Dennis hear is pine and spruce slabs for sale @ $80 a load. It used to be $50. My longest burns actually come from these as you can fill every crack and cranny in the stove to turn it into a solid block with limited air space. Its just a PITA to cut it all up. A custom sawbuck is whats needed.

Attached Files:

7. Slow1

Slow1 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Eastern MA
    Thanks for the picture - now I can better imagine what might be delivered if I were to go for this. Someone must be doing their own milling in that area - there aren't any actual commercial sawmills there that I know of.

I bet they dry out fairly quick if not stacked too tightly, lots of exposed surfaces there. Perhaps just leave the pile uncut and it will dry out?

It would be interesting to try burning, but of course I'm not keen on having to cut/stack 3 cords to dry out for the experiment. Then it is likely a one-shot deal anyway. Wife would not be too happy to have 3 cords laying in the back yard waiting for me to process on top of those logs that have been there for the last month either. Oh well, maybe once I get caught up again.
  8. JustWood

JustWood Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Arrow Bridge,NY
    My dad burns pine and hemlock slabs during shoulder season . 1/3 of a load of slabs and a big 12"+ round works good for him. He has a crane/trolley set up in the truck bay where OWB is located for loading up massive rounds. Works pretty slick.
  9. ng8264723

ng8264723 New Member

Loc:
    ma central
    I have tons of pine FOR FREE FREE!!!!!!!!!!! It is cut into 3 foot wide by 2 foot ready to split. In Harvard MA
    chrisheinis@verizon.net
  10. North of 60

North of 60 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Yukon Canada
    I will stick to $80. I will probably save that on fuel.
  11. JPinnell

JPinnell Member

Loc:
    Meramec Caverns
    Locally in MO I can get a bundle of hardwood slabs for $10. It's a metal strapped/banded bundle 4-5' dia and 8-10' long. After cutting and weeding out the truly bark pieces for kindling I end up with 2/3 of a cord stacked. I tried the custom sawbuck using T-Posts but it was too much handling. I now leave them on the trailer, suck them down tight with a wide nylon strap, and saw in place. Cut off a 16" slice, stack the pieces, reset the strap, rinse and repeat. Be careful with the saw and don't nick the trailer bed. I haul two bundles end to end, not stacked to leave working room to stand on the trailer as crawling up a tall pile with a chainsaw isn't my style :)

4-5 bundles for the shoulder seasons is 2+ cords. I burn all the oddball sizes and bark in the smoker or for camp fire wood in the summer. I've only got about 3.5 acres of woods so a few bundles and harvesting deadfall keeps us warm.

- JP
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.