"Pine slabs for burning in outdoor wood stove" hmm....

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Slow1

Minister of Fire
Nov 26, 2008
Eastern MA
Hmm... I wonder what exactly is being sold here... $30/cord seems like a good price.

http://worcester.craigslist.org/grd/1458533218.html

==============
pine forewood for outdoor wood stove - $90 (douglas)

Date: 2009-11-09, 4:20PM EST
Reply to: [email protected] [Errors when replying to ads?]

Pine slabs for burning in outdoor wood stove. $30 a cord with a 3 cord minmum. Will deliver for free within a 10 mile radius. Cash only.

===============

Could be a full cord because it is only slabwood. Some burn it but it burns up fast. Most slabwood you are buying mostly bark. $90 actually sounds high for that.

Yeah but it is $90 for three cords. That is not a good deal?

Whoops. Read that wrong. $30 per cord is about the going rate for hardwoods. Never seen just pine slabs for sale.

Backwoods Savage said:
Whoops. Read that wrong. $30 per cord is about the going rate for hardwoods. Never seen just pine slabs for sale.

Dennis hear is pine and spruce slabs for sale @ $80 a load. It used to be $50. My longest burns actually come from these as you can fill every crack and cranny in the stove to turn it into a solid block with limited air space. Its just a PITA to cut it all up. A custom sawbuck is whats needed.

Attachments

• Wood Haul.jpg
    Wood Haul.jpg
    65.4 KB · Views: 591
Thanks for the picture - now I can better imagine what might be delivered if I were to go for this. Someone must be doing their own milling in that area - there aren't any actual commercial sawmills there that I know of.

I bet they dry out fairly quick if not stacked too tightly, lots of exposed surfaces there. Perhaps just leave the pile uncut and it will dry out?

It would be interesting to try burning, but of course I'm not keen on having to cut/stack 3 cords to dry out for the experiment. Then it is likely a one-shot deal anyway. Wife would not be too happy to have 3 cords laying in the back yard waiting for me to process on top of those logs that have been there for the last month either. Oh well, maybe once I get caught up again.

My dad burns pine and hemlock slabs during shoulder season . 1/3 of a load of slabs and a big 12"+ round works good for him. He has a crane/trolley set up in the truck bay where OWB is located for loading up massive rounds. Works pretty slick.

Locally in MO I can get a bundle of hardwood slabs for $10. It's a metal strapped/banded bundle 4-5' dia and 8-10' long. After cutting and weeding out the truly bark pieces for kindling I end up with 2/3 of a cord stacked. I tried the custom sawbuck using T-Posts but it was too much handling. I now leave them on the trailer, suck them down tight with a wide nylon strap, and saw in place. Cut off a 16" slice, stack the pieces, reset the strap, rinse and repeat. Be careful with the saw and don't nick the trailer bed. I haul two bundles end to end, not stacked to leave working room to stand on the trailer as crawling up a tall pile with a chainsaw isn't my style :)

4-5 bundles for the shoulder seasons is 2+ cords. I burn all the oddball sizes and bark in the smoker or for camp fire wood in the summer. I've only got about 3.5 acres of woods so a few bundles and harvesting deadfall keeps us warm.

- JP

Status
Not open for further replies.