Pine to be Dropped for Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
If the weather is good then tomorrow this topped off pine is coming down so we can mill it.
zap

Attachments

• 100_3565.jpg
    100_3565.jpg
    161.6 KB · Views: 267
  • 100_3566-1.jpg
    100_3566-1.jpg
    211.4 KB · Views: 264
  • 100_3567.jpg
    100_3567.jpg
    247.1 KB · Views: 292
Zap you're a talented guy keep up the good work!

Ray

How wide you think this one is?

smokinjay said:

The pine is down, at the stump end it measured just over 24 inches across, the top measured just over 18 inches across.

The tree measured just over 23 feet, lost some off the top. What would you mill for length.

zap

Attachments

• 100_3568.jpg
    100_3568.jpg
    241.1 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_3569.jpg
    100_3569.jpg
    219.4 KB · Views: 213
  • 100_3570.jpg
    100_3570.jpg
    144.6 KB · Views: 231
  • 100_3571.jpg
    100_3571.jpg
    188.2 KB · Views: 216
Heck, it's like cutting hair, Zap. If you cut off too much you may regret it, but if you just take a little off, you can always take more later.

Mill the whole length, dude. Can't make the boards longer, mang... Can always cut them later.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

The pine is down, at the stump end it measured just over 24 inches across, the top measured just over 18 inches across.

The tree measured just over 23 feet, lost some off the top. What would you mill for length.

zap

If your needing 10-12 footer's for the shead nows the time....If not cut it in half.

Danno77 said:
Heck, it's like cutting hair, Zap. If you cut off too much you may regret it, but if you just take a little off, you can always take more later.

Mill the whole length, dude. Can't make the boards longer, mang... Can always cut them later.

Moving them is the issue, but your on the right track.. At that point you keep the project at hand in mind. Break-em down to manage the load.

smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Moving them is the issue, but your on the right track.. At that point you keep the project at hand in mind. Break-em down to manage the load.

Looks like I'll get a list together tonight for the materials we need for the cabin or shed we want to build. Last night before we dropped the tree I was setting up the 660 with a bigger bar (28 inch) for felling the pine then went to put the chain on it and they gave me the wrong chain (husky) my fault also for not looking so the twenty went on.

Stopped this morning and I picked up the correct chain, also the 25 inch bar came in with some ripping chains. Dave just happened to be done sharpening some chains so he was showing me how he sets his depth and some little things he looks for so tonight will be a chain sharpening night.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

Looks like I'll get a list together tonight for the materials we need for the cabin or shed we want to build. Last night before we dropped the tree I was setting up the 660 with a bigger bar (28 inch) for felling the pine then went to put the chain on it and they gave me the wrong chain (husky) my fault also for not looking so the twenty went on.

Stopped this morning and I picked up the correct chain, also the 25 inch bar came in with some ripping chains. Dave just happened to be done sharpening some chains so he was showing me how he sets his depth and some little things he looks for so tonight will be a chain sharpening night.

Its simple, just light taps normally 3....

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

More on his depth setting and how he does it and what he looks for when setting it up.

After we get our list together tonight I might end up ordering a five section of ez rails so doing a ten footer would be a breeze.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77 said:

More on his depth setting and how he does it and what he looks for when setting it up.

After we get our list together tonight I might end up ordering a five section of ez rails so doing a ten footer would be a breeze.

Depth setting will pretty much stay the same through out your chains. Minor adjustments after its set-up right. I get it very close with the machine off. Then Turn it on and lower it by the knob till you get some sparks, check the bottom of the gullet if its shinny your there if not repeat until it is. Most your chains should be the same depth....How long is your rail now and how many sections is it?

Ok just look at the pick I would run 7 foot with that rail then just slide the rail down to pick up the rest of the log. This is pretty easy if you start at the big end.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
Danno77" date="1311750539 said:

Depth setting will pretty much stay the same through out your chains. Minor adjustments after its set-up right. I get it very close with the machine off. Then Turn it on and lower it by the knob till you get some sparks, check the bottom of the gullet if its shinny your there if not repeat until it is. Most your chains should be the same depth....How long is your rail now and how many sections is it?

Ok just look at the pick I would run 7 foot with that rail then just slide the rail down to pick up the rest of the log. This is pretty easy if you start at the big end.

The rails we have are nine feet and in one section, it's very hard to slide it down and get it level at the starting point in the middle from anything I have read.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311787979 said:

The rails we have are nine feet and in one section, it's very hard to slide it down and get it level at the starting point in the middle from anything I have read.

Ahhh, Not if your always custom to starting at the large end of the log. I don't even take the mill off. MMAUL and I have done it many times but if your by yourself I could see the how it could get difficult.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny" date="1311789638 said:

Ahhh, Not if your always custom to starting at the large end of the log. I don't even take the mill off. MMAUL and I have done it many times but if your by yourself I could see the how it could get difficult.

But you get the whole length level before you start then you just slide the board down don't you.

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay" date="1311789821 said:
zapny" date="1311789638 said:

But you get the whole length level before you start then you just slide the board down don't you.

yep and put the level back on and it will take some shim's because the log a little smaller but your really only sliding 3-5 foot so the adjustment are slight at best. With the mill left in place.

Zap that pine looks nice and straight. Do you like those rails? I have been just using an old wooden ladder for now, it seems to work fine but it is also only about 10 feet.

This one was the most diffcult and readjusted it in about 10 min's.

Attachments

• slab walnut.jpg
    slab walnut.jpg
    176.2 KB · Views: 127
GolfandWoodNut said:
Zap that pine looks nice and straight. Do you like those rails? I have been just using an old wooden ladder for now, it seems to work fine but it is also only about 10 feet.

Yes, the ez rails I think are worth the money . I'm thinking about ordering another five foot section to the nine footer we have.

zap

Took a look at there site heck you don't even need shims lol....That is an easy set-up. Guess I learned the hard way. ;-) That is an expensive frist cut though.

smokinjay said:
Yea Jay, the cherry I milled was very irregular with a big hump, it was not a big deal but had to cut deep on the first cut to make up for the hump. I had not ever thought about saving a Y but I saw the finished product and it does add an interest factor.

GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:
Yea Jay, the cherry I milled was very irregular with a big hump, it was not a big deal but had to cut deep on the first cut to make up for the hump. I had not ever thought about saving a Y but I saw the finished product and it does add an interest factor.

Mine sells for table and bar tops so that makes it worth more...

smokinjay said:
Took a look at there site heck you don't even need shims lol....That is an easy set-up. Guess I learned the hard way. ;-) That is an expensive frist cut though.

It does make a nice first cut to go off, less expensive then the damn saw! :vampire:

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

It does make a nice first cut to go off, less expensive then the damn saw! :vampire:

Yep, and if your doing most of you milling alone not a bad buy. Just harder for me to wrap my hand around it after doing it different for over a year now. I can also bust out my first cut with a mini-mill but on the big tree's this will have you on a 28-32 inch bar and thats when you can lose accuracy.

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Yep, and if your doing most of you milling alone not a bad buy. Just harder for me to wrap my hand around it after doing it different for over a year now. I can also bust out my first cut with a mini-mill but on the big tree's this will have you on a 28-32 inch bar and thats when you can lose accuracy.

Don't make me buy the 880! :cheese:

zapny said:
smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Don't make me buy the 880! :cheese:

I think the 660 is a better milling woods saw than the 880. Yard birds is another story. ;-)

Status
Not open for further replies.