Pine to be Dropped for Milling

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:
This one was the most diffcult and readjusted it in about 10 min's.
Yea Jay, the cherry I milled was very irregular with a big hump, it was not a big deal but had to cut deep on the first cut to make up for the hump. I had not ever thought about saving a Y but I saw the finished product and it does add an interest factor.

I've never used a CSM, but when milling with a band-saw-mill sometimes it is easier to "freehand" cut the big humps and bumps off with the chainsaw. I imagine the same would apply with a CSM.

Zap you are burningwood? ;-)

lukem said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:
Yea Jay, the cherry I milled was very irregular with a big hump, it was not a big deal but had to cut deep on the first cut to make up for the hump. I had not ever thought about saving a Y but I saw the finished product and it does add an interest factor.

I've never used a CSM, but when milling with a band-saw-mill sometimes it is easier to "freehand" cut the big humps and bumps off with the chainsaw. I imagine the same would apply with a CSM.

Yes your not using that top piece anyways.

smokinjay said:

Keeps on getting cooler at night and we will be burning wood.

bw

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

bw

I was reffering to your handle on aanother site... ;-)

smokinjay said:
zapny said:
smokinjay said:

bw

I was reffering to your handle on aanother site... ;-)

Yep on the other site, but it was getting in the high 50's at night so that is why I threw that in about burning wood and not burningwood.

bw

lukem said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:

Yup,I do that all the time when dealing with otherwise nice 3-4 ft long pieces.Saves lots of hassles later on.Sharp chain,steady hands,paying attention I can stay within 1/8" of that sharpie or crayon line for those smaller pieces.Move your arms,but keep feet planted in same spot otherwise you'll mess it up.

Thistle said:
lukem said:
GolfandWoodNut said:
smokinjay said:

Yup,I do that all the time when dealing with otherwise nice 3-4 ft long pieces.Saves lots of hassles later on.Sharp chain,steady hands,paying attention I can stay within 1/8" of that sharpie or crayon line for those smaller pieces.Move your arms,but keep feet planted in same spot otherwise you'll mess it up.

The support board was free hand 460 and pencil! ;-)

Attachments

• table finnish.jpg
    table finnish.jpg
    113.6 KB · Views: 91
Status
Not open for further replies.