Pine?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ironspider

Feeling the Heat
Nov 13, 2013
Flanders, NY
Is this pine?
esezamed.jpg

I get some good burns with pine. My harman overnights easily with pine. I have so much of it i almost never get to enjoy the seasoned oak i have as i burn the pine first. If its really cold ill overnight with the oak ,but mostly its all pine.

Splits easy,light weight.hot fire,smells good,dries fast.Whats not to like?

Reactions: smokedragon
About 8 years ago, someone offered me their firewood piles that they wouldn't be using and wanted their yard cleared from the piles. At that time, I was still burning inside. The wood was oak and pine seasoned very nicely. I took all the oak right away and kinda turned my nose up at the pine. Then I thought about that decision, knowing that when I ran out of wood, I would be paying for gas to heat the house. Long story short, the pine was loaded also. I think it was 3 pickup loads of free wood.
So Ironspider-get all the pine you can. I am under the assumption that you are getting this free?

Don't know, it was on the curb I didn't even get out of my car. I have two pine trees down in the lot next to me, they are huge, if I have the extra time I'll just process them.

Always handy to have some pine in your stacks - sure helps when you are waiting for 'better' denser wood to season. I have used some this year (just starting our shoulder burning) its only been seasoning for 6 / 9 months - hot dry summer and it burns very well.

Don't know, it was on the curb I didn't even get out of my car. I have two pine trees down in the lot next to me, they are huge, if I have the extra time I'll just process them.
I'm sorry, but if it is cut to the right length, why not pick it up.

Reactions: kennyp2339
Nothing wrong with it IF it's free and you have the space to store it. You mentioned some other trees you have to process so you may not want to add this to the pile. But if you have the space and time nothing wrong with taking it either.

It's a half hour away so would have to go get the truck and trailer and build separate racks for pine. I'll do that distance for oak cherry locus etc but not pine.

I burned a lot of pine last winter. I CSS another 4 cord so far but only do it if I cant find hard wood to do first. My neighbor said her dad had 8 big pines down in his yard I can have, I will but I still have Oak in my back yard to finish. If you can just have it I would, a half hour is not that far.

These are southern yellow pine limbs, they burn hot, great for first thing in the morning. As you can see they are heavy with sap.

Attachments

• photo (2).JPG
    photo (2).JPG
    173.8 KB · Views: 200
Id be screwed without lodgepole pine, my yard just isnt big enough to store 3 years of wood on it. Every spring I go out and get what I need for winter and c,s,s it right away top cover and its ready by fall, its mostly blow downs or standing dead. Picked up two truck loads of pine on Sunday mixed in with a sprinkling of Larch and Birch. I wish I had more pine this winter, its all I burn during the day, in fact I'm burning it right now. Have you figured out what kind of pine it is?

Splits easy,light weight.hot fire,smells good,dries fast.Whats not to like?
Still waiting for someone to answer Seasoned Oak's question..........I totally agree with him.

Still waiting for someone to answer Seasoned Oak's question..........I totally agree with him.

The sticky mess it leaves on your saw, gloves, and clothes??? I've never burned it before, but picked up a big pine down the street that the power company took down and I was tired of staring at. I had a hard time splitting it, because of all the limbs which were like iron bars running straight through the trunk.

The sticky mess it leaves on your saw, gloves, and clothes???
IF it is cut or picked up at the right time of year, that is not a real issue.

I get a lot of dead fall pine, so there is little sap to fight with.

Fresh green pine, cut in the spring.........that is a sticky, nasty mess:oops:

people around here think i'm crazy burning pine in my insert. A coworker called me, asked if i would take some from a buddies of his house that he had cut down. I pulled up, there was about 2 cords cut, split, and STACKED right next to the road which he hauled out with a wheelbarrel. thank you! 6 truck loads, half hr each way

Man can't beat that, I'm taking down a pine on my property over the summer and looking forward to getting it in the stacks.

Status
Not open for further replies.