Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
In the pictures you can see that the bottom is bad, looking at the picture it leans to the left and back. Best you can tell is this safe enough to fell with wedges.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1122.jpg
    100_1122.jpg
    142.4 KB · Views: 380
  • 100_1123.jpg
    100_1123.jpg
    166.1 KB · Views: 377
  • 100_1124.jpg
    100_1124.jpg
    181.3 KB · Views: 361
Hard to tell, if the bottom is soft, then wedges dont do much, and tree falls as it will. that seems to be how much of my wood was 2 years ago. Forest permits for dead standing didnt leave me much options.

PINEBURNER said:
Hard to tell, if the bottom is soft, then wedges dont do much, and tree falls as it will. that seems to be how much of my wood was 2 years ago. Forest permits for dead standing didnt leave me much options.

When I'm out again I will check and see how punky the bottom is, it's next to the driveway but leaning back toward the woods so I guess it's not a huge problem.

zap

From the pictures, it looks like you whacked the piss out of the trunk with that green lawn chair. Ahhh, I see- the new punky wood while still standing test. I'll have to try that. :cheese:

Very interesting don't know much about pine but if you have dought's don't . My advice is if you ask don't, looks easy from my view. Be careful and saf e.

Beetle-Kill said:
From the pictures, it looks like you whacked the piss out of the trunk with that green lawn chair. Ahhh, I see- the new punky wood while still standing test. I'll have to try that. :cheese:

Thats mole hunting country for the dog/cat, he's gained a few pounds this summer. The owl showed up last fall when we were in that area, not sure if he wanted the cat or a mole.

zap

Beetle-Kill I think if he would wack it with that green chair alittle more it will fall just fine.

I'm on pins and needles. If it works, I'll sell my saws, buy green plastic chairs, and be done with it. I'll almost feel like Chuck Norris in the woods! :coolgrin: BTW, never hunted mole, does it taste like chicken? And no, I won't take the word of the dog/cat.

Skier76 said:
Is that a "Wild Thing" Poulan chair? :lol:

Thats a Quads Fiskars chair. :zip:

zap

That surely does not look like a problem to me and I rarely use wedges. I think I've used wedges exactly one time over the last 3 years.

The biggest problem with those type trees is the dead limbs. Make sure none will fall while cutting. Once the tree starts to fall, leave, fast.

If you want to do it real safe, put a line in about 1/2 to 2/3 up use that wench face cut but cut 1/2 way through and get out of there and wench it down.

How quick is your first step?

Oh, and don't trip over the chair!

smokinjay said:
If you want to do it real safe, put a line in about 1/2 to 2/3 up use that wench face cut but cut 1/2 way through and get out of there and wench it down.

Wench, a historical British Modern English colloquial term for a lower class woman and/or promiscuous woman

I think he should use a winch

A winch is a mechanical device that is used to pull in (wind up) or let out (wind out) or otherwise adjust the "tension" of a rope or wire rope

ironpony said:
smokinjay said:

Wench, a historical British Modern English colloquial term for a lower class woman and/or promiscuous woman

A winch is a mechanical device that is used to pull in (wind up) or let out (wind out) or otherwise adjust the "tension" of a rope or wire rope

Lol The spelling be champion is on the wrong site again!

smokinjay said:
ironpony said:
smokinjay said:

Lol The spelling be champion is on the wrong site again!

bee

Uper said:
What's a chimley?

chimley 'chim-lee n - Also: chimbley; Chimney; a household structure designed to carry away smoke from kitchen stoves, wood stoves, fire places, or furnaces;

I love adding the b, my new favorite way to spell it!

I'm with Dennis . . . the angle (at least from the pic) wouldn't bother me . . . but I would be really, really careful with the dead branches and wood overhead.

I leave those for the woodpeckers and bugs.

Unless I think it might fall on something i don't want it to.
and yeah, watch for falling stuff when they're rotten like that.

Leave 'em long enough and just leaning on 'em knocks 'em over.

Status
Not open for further replies.