Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like I'll intoduce this pine for the first time to the Lopi Liberty next week, I'll let it dry inside for a week before I throw it in.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0296.jpg
    100_0296.jpg
    79.1 KB · Views: 440
here's hopin' your whole house doesn't burn down!!! lol.

I brought in a whopping two splits, when I told the wife that I was going to try some pine she looked at me like I was nuts. She wants to burn some beech.

zap

zapny said:
I brought in a whopping two splits, when I told the wife that I was going to try some pine she looked at me like I was nuts. She wants to burn some beech.

zap
good thing you didn't reply "No beech, i want pine." that could have been misheard/misinterpreted and started a big argument.

Danno77 said:
zapny said:

zap
good thing you didn't reply "No beech, i want pine." that could have been misheard/misinterpreted and started a big argument.

:lol:

If the pine is dry it will be fine. If it hasn't by drying for a year (cut, split, stacked, 1 year) then I wouldn't even let it see the stove let alone go inside of it.

pen

pen said:
If the pine is dry it will be fine. If it hasn't by drying for a year (cut, split, stacked, 1 year) then I wouldn't even let it see the stove let alone go inside of it.

pen

Just found the picture when I bucked it up, guess it will go back in the stack.

zap

Attachments

• 100_0289.jpg
    100_0289.jpg
    216.3 KB · Views: 387
If you have other options, the time certainly can't hurt it. It also isn't going to burn your house down to try a few as an experiment. But in general, pine is the exact opposite of ash. People in my area think they can get away w/ burning "green" ash. The reason they do better w/ ash when it is green than other woods is because it's living moisture content is less than that of other local woods. Pine on the other hand carries more moisture and needs to be dried longer. Once dried tho, nothing wrong w/ it at all. Most people just have a stigma about it since it isn't ready when the other wood is and therefore smolders and makes creosote since it is wet.

pen

pen said:
If you have other options, the time certainly can't hurt it. It also isn't going to burn your house down to try a few as an experiment. But in general, pine is the exact opposite of ash. People in my area think they can get away w/ burning "green" ash. The reason they do better w/ ash when it is green than other woods is because it's living moisture content is less than that of other local woods. Pine on the other hand carries more moisture and needs to be dried longer. Once dried tho, nothing wrong w/ it at all. Most people just have a stigma about it since it isn't ready when the other wood is and therefore smolders and makes creosote since it is wet.

pen

I'll skip it I have plenty of other wood with cherry over one year cut and stacked and sugar maple and beech going on three years cut and stacked.

Thanks
Zap

Danno77 said:
zapny said:

zap

:) I am amused . . .

zapny said:
pen said:

pen

I'll skip it I have plenty of other wood with cherry over one year cut and stacked and sugar maple and beech going on three years cut and stacked.

Thanks
Zap

My experience with pine, spruce and the like is that it can be dried in less than a year. Some pine a split last fall was at around 20% by June/July.

Mind you, we are working mostly with beetle kill pine here, but I've seen it ready in 6 months or less. Your mileage may vary. Stock number ST710. Dealer retains all rebates and hold backs. Not all buyers will qualify for 0% APR.

With all the talk here about burning pine, I thought I might try some. We burn southern hardwood that is at least three years old so we really don't need to burn it, just thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. We have a lot of Southern White pine that is beetle killed so three years ago I bucked and split a half a cord. It was stacked outside to dry and after two years I found that it was still wet and was somewhat punky. I moved it all into the barn so it would be have a chance to dry out. So I tried some this week. I couldn't burn it if I set it on fire with gasoline. In the stove it would smoke and smolder, than go out. I suspect it was still too wet. But than I got to wondering why I was messing with pine when had real wood to burn. I pulled my dead splits from the stove and loaded them and all the rest of the pine into my wagon. I had the satisfaction of dumping all of it in the gully. Good riddance. So ends my adventures with worthless pine. David

Sorry you had so much trouble with pine it is all we have here and it burns great. I can start some splits with just a few sheets of news paper it is so dry. When I lived in the PNW for a couple years I noticed it was hard to get the fir to burn very well even lumber scraps were hard to start and slow to burn. All I can figure in more damp climates the pine must soak up moisture from the air.

burleymike said:
Sorry you had so much trouble with pine it is all we have here and it burns great. I can start some splits with just a few sheets of news paper it is so dry. When I lived in the PNW for a couple years I noticed it was hard to get the fir to burn very well even lumber scraps were hard to start and slow to burn. All I can figure in more damp climates the pine must soak up moisture from the air.

Decided I would test the pine with a moisture meter, attached is the picture.

zap

Attachments

• 100_1717.jpg
    100_1717.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 283
zapny said:
burleymike said:

zap
Looks like your woodstove and your pine are ready to meet. ;-)

Carbon_Liberator said:
zapny said:
burleymike said:

zap
Looks like you woodstove and your pine are ready to meet. ;-)

Ready for the Liberty, I'll use it on Saturday morning on restart.

zap

I have been burning pine the entire shoulder season in my eko 40, and I have not had any issues with creosote buildup....at least no more than I would have had I burned cherry or oak.
I find that small splits and seasoned wood seem to be the ticket that give me the best results and best gasification

Captain Hornet said:
We have a lot of Southern White pine that is beetle killed so three years ago I bucked and split a half a cord. It was stacked outside to dry and after two years I found that it was still wet and was somewhat punky. I moved it all into the barn so it would be have a chance to dry out. So I tried some this week. I couldn't burn it if I set it on fire with gasoline. In the stove it would smoke and smolder, than go out. I suspect it was still too wet.

That pine got too far gone - once it's punky like that it will hold water and be mostly worthless (as you found out). If pine is standing dead you can often dry it in sun and wind in a couple of months (or less) and it's good to go. A couple of years, not unless covered after drying, or it can rot.

Captain Hornet said:
With all the talk here about burning pine, I thought I might try some. We burn southern hardwood that is at least three years old so we really don't need to burn it, just thought I'd see what all the fuss is about. We have a lot of Southern White pine that is beetle killed so three years ago I bucked and split a half a cord. It was stacked outside to dry and after two years I found that it was still wet and was somewhat punky. I moved it all into the barn so it would be have a chance to dry out. So I tried some this week. I couldn't burn it if I set it on fire with gasoline. In the stove it would smoke and smolder, than go out. I suspect it was still too wet. But than I got to wondering why I was messing with pine when had real wood to burn. I pulled my dead splits from the stove and loaded them and all the rest of the pine into my wagon. I had the satisfaction of dumping all of it in the gully. Good riddance. So ends my adventures with worthless pine. David

The last time I stopped burning pine my house froze up.

Couldnt get that Oak delivered across the border.
So I am back to burnin Pine :)

Nof60, I know a smuggler, let me know how badly you want to burn oak. :ahhh: Zap, at 17% you should already feel the heat by now!

Going in Saturday morning and tonight that dead standing maple is going in once I burn down the coals.

zap

burleymike said:
Just started tonights fire with 4 1"x1" peices of kindling, atop 4 nice size, almost three year old pine splits. ONE regular old diamond strike on box match was all that was needed. Pines just fine!

Pineburner, I hear 'ya. Last season, lit off the hairy parts with a BIC lighter, no kindling. Our Pine does have some "Pro's" to it at times.

There aint nothin wrong with pine,, Here in Colo. the stuff dries real nice in 2-3 months. Burns hot and clean for me, doesnt last long though

Status
Not open for further replies.