pine???

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

walkerdogman85

Feb 21, 2012
ohio
my neighbor has 35 pines trees should i cut them down and use them i have a hardy outdoor wood burner. If so how long does it take pine to season thanks in advance

I don't have an OWB but last season I used Pine for starter wood, burns fast and hot. I split it to small kindling size and it was dry in no time. Burn time is not going to be long in your OWB, though...

I just scored a truckload of Spruce for free as well. I plan on splitting it up small and using it for starter wood only, or on days when its too hot for the OWB and too cold yet to turn it off.

I would think if cut and split it should season much quicker than most wood. Probably less than 6 months maybe ?

Is there a local mill? Sell it or keep some for your own purposes. Pine is nice to work with.

Pine will dry nicely in a year. If cut now, some could be ready by fall, especially with an owb.

I think you have time to get that pine ready for next fall as long as you get it cut and split soon. How large do you cut for the OWB? Big pieces will take longer to dry, and rounds won't dry as fast as split wood.

n
I think you have time to get that pine ready for next fall as long as you get it cut and split soon. How large do you cut for the OWB? Big pieces will take longer to dry, and rounds won't dry as fast as split wood.
not too big but i think i am going to start on it this week

Ya, go for it dogman!

I've got some white pine and spruce stacked since last fall that I'm burning right now. It's dry.
More going in the stacks to dry, then into the shed this fall for shoulder burns.
If I felt like making really small splits, they'd be good as starters. Not really needed if the wood's dry.

Maybe cut and split a few at a time. I'm always surprised at how aggravating it is to split most softwoods. When ever I get evolved with white pine I wish I was spending my time and energy on hard wood.
Of course free wood is free wood and your Hardy will handle bigger splits. Season 1 year....

Status
Not open for further replies.