Pine

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Benchwrench

Feeling the Heat
Sep 1, 2011
State of Confusion
I have some seasoned pine and after reading some of the thoughts posted here regarding using it as shoulder fuel, I find a better use for it.

In the morning all I have are coals, and the house is cold so I just load some pine to get the stove up to temp then load it with the heavy stuff.
What I am saying is I see no need to "burn up" all my pine at the beginning of the burning season when it is such a good starter for heat build up as I find myself always allowing the stove to cycle either overnight or away for the day.
just saying.

I do the same. Good move.

I agree. For me 'shoulder season' happens every day that I am home to tend the stove.

i love pine...wish i had more of it. when i'm around to tend it, i have no problem at all using it. its those long burns while i'm away that they just can complete.....thats ok, i like it anyway.

cass

I just tore up my cedar deck, and cut it into 14" pieces. Dry as a bone, splits like magic, stacks uniform & tight. In other words I'm saving it all for kindling. I figure there is something like 150 burning days (30 days/month, November-March = 150 days) so I'll need quite a bit of kindling. Why burn it all now?

I have some seasoned pine and after reading some of the thoughts posted here regarding using it as shoulder fuel, I find a better use for it.

In the morning all I have are coals, and the house is cold so I just load some pine to get the stove up to temp then load it with the heavy stuff.
What I am saying is I see no need to "burn up" all my pine at the beginning of the burning season when it is such a good starter for heat build up as I find myself always allowing the stove to cycle either overnight or away for the day.
just saying.

Ditto!

couldnt agree more. i use mine all year as well when i am gonna be home. if i am away for awhile, i use the hardwood, but weekends......... smell wonderful in the yard.:)

Status
Not open for further replies.