1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Pine

Post in 'The Wood Shed' started by Benchwrench, Nov 5, 2012.

1. Benchwrench

Benchwrench Member

Loc:
    State of Confusion
    I have some seasoned pine and after reading some of the thoughts posted here regarding using it as shoulder fuel, I find a better use for it.

In the morning all I have are coals, and the house is cold so I just load some pine to get the stove up to temp then load it with the heavy stuff.
    What I am saying is I see no need to "burn up" all my pine at the beginning of the burning season when it is such a good starter for heat build up as I find myself always allowing the stove to cycle either overnight or away for the day.
    just saying.
    Backwoods Savage and jackatc1 like this.

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. adrpga498

adrpga498 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    New Jersey
    I do the same. Good move.
  3. Wood Duck

Wood Duck Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Central PA
    I agree. For me 'shoulder season' happens every day that I am home to tend the stove.
  4. tcassavaugh

tcassavaugh Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Southern Maryland
    i love pine...wish i had more of it. when i'm around to tend it, i have no problem at all using it. its those long burns while i'm away that they just can complete.....thats ok, i like it anyway.

cass
  5. Realstone

Realstone Lord of Fire

Loc:
    Southern ON
    I just tore up my cedar deck, and cut it into 14" pieces. Dry as a bone, splits like magic, stacks uniform & tight. In other words I'm saving it all for kindling. I figure there is something like 150 burning days (30 days/month, November-March = 150 days) so I'll need quite a bit of kindling. Why burn it all now?
  6. jackatc1

jackatc1 Burning Hunk

Loc:
    Port Crane ny
    Ditto!
  7. kennyl70

kennyl70 New Member

Loc:
    Missouri
    couldnt agree more. i use mine all year as well when i am gonna be home. if i am away for awhile, i use the hardwood, but weekends......... smell wonderful in the yard.:)