Ping computeruser - Husky 142 Hot Rodding

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
computeruser, or anyone else for that matter:

I picked up a couple of little Husky 142s new with warranty for a hundred bucks apiece (big box stores are growing on me). Slower than Old Yaller but they don't weigh 23 pounds apiece either. Can you point me to instructions to open up one of these things. Yes, I know about aborsite.com but don't care to jump into that mosh pit of chainsaw junkies. They talk about mods a lot but specifics are non-existent and I already know that every other saw on the planet is better.

And yes, I know they are just orange Poulans but I don't buy any saws but Poulans. Even if Old Yaller is really a Partner 039 painted yellow with Poulan Pro decals.

BTW: These are the cat e-series but they are high rev'n little suckers and weigh zilch.

TIA

I've never been into one of those cat mufflers, but supposedly there is a bunch of crap in there that you might want to remove. It is toxic, so be careful. Some guys who buy the e-tec Husqvarna 359s decide to leave the cat crap in there and just mod the muffler. Others remove the cat crap, too, or buy the earlier non-cat muffler and mod the non-cat. All of my saws are non-cats, but I have an 326-series e-tec hedge trimmer I haven't been into yet, so at least for the moment I can't say for sure what's in there.

Regardless, you should see gains in performance if you remove the muffler, open up the outlet hole somewhat, and possibly add a second outlet hole so that the total area of exhaust outlets from the muffler are about 85% (fairly conservative as far as mods go, but why not start small?) of the area of the exahust port itself. Richen the saw up on the top end (definitely) and on the bottom end (possibly, play that one by ear) and you should be good to go. I am assuming that there is an adjustable hi-speed circuit on that saw's carb.

You should be able to get reasonably good results out of that saw, especially if it is paired with an appropriate bar and chain combo (i.e. not huge!).

Thanks. I was surprised that the darn things came with .043 low profile bars and chains but the stuff works well in the cut so I guess I will see how they hold up. The 16" bars on them are plenty but I just wanted to play with letting one of them breathe to see the differance.

Appreciate the info.

BrotherBart said:
Thanks. I was surprised that the darn things came with .043 low profile bars and chains but the stuff works well in the cut so I guess I will see how they hold up. The 16" bars on them are plenty but I just wanted to play with letting one of them breathe to see the differance.

Appreciate the info.

That narrow 3/8" low-profile stuff (the .043, not the .050) is actually pretty quick stuff. Not terribly durable, but it makes the most of what the saw has to give, that's for sure!!

Status
Not open for further replies.