Ping - Corie

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

BrotherBart

Modesterator
Staff member
Tell us some more about this new stove that is in the works. The suspense is killing me.

hahaha

Well if you muuuuust know.

Took a trip to brandywinevalley fabricators today to drop off and discuss the final plans for the top and bottom sections which are going to be formed from a single piece of 1/4" and then be welded together by me.

I have all the other pieces for the baffle, secondary tubes, grate supports, etc here. Just received the machined draft caps I was waiting for and finally found a supplier which would sell me a 12" x24" piece of Kaowool #8 (baffle insulation) so I ordered that today as well. Also waiting for a Vermont Castings Aspen 6" flue collar which was of course on backorder and will be another 3-4 weeks from discount stove.

At this point, I'm waited for the main piece of the top and bottom section to be shaped. Once I have those pieces, I can weld the external body of the stove together and then start fitting the internal parts like the baffle, secondary tubes, grate supports, ash pan and all the channels that will bring the air to the air wash and secondary system.

The specifics are: The entire stove is 1/4" A36 steel, with overall dimensions of 32" from base to top of flue collar, 21" from the back of the optional rear heat shield to the front of the 4" ash lip and 21" wide. It has an overall grate area of 209.25 sq in using dock ash grates. There will be three independent air controls, one for under fire air, one for air wash and one for secondary. All three will be adjusted via control rods just like a quadrafire.

The stove has a convection chamber in the rear which will be coupled with a 75 cfm blower that I repaired from a harman stove. The stove also has a 16 gauge ash pan that is 8 H x 12 D x 18W so it will have plenty of room for a couple days of ashes. Also has a slide on lid with a handle so it's easy to take it out of the house without dust flying everywhere.

I think that's all right now. I'm really waiting on this fabricator (which works veeeeeeeeeeery slowly). Hopefully it won't take much longer for them to finish and then I can get this pupppy together and running. Once assembly or serious fab work starts, I'm gonna throw some pictures up on my website.

I'd post pictures of the autocad drawings but that would ruin all the suspense.

Wow, 16 ga ashpan. That's mighty stout. What does it weigh?

Thanks for the update. Looking forward to pics, ignition and lift-off.

It's going to weigh about 1.9 tons. That's a serious concern right now though- I'm not sure how it's going to make the trek from the garage to the basement. I'm building on pallet like woodstock, so hopefully that will be a help. We'll see.

I just can't wait to light that first fire and see those secondary combustion flames.

Does that weight include firebricks, Corie?

no. That brings the total to 2.0 tons even. It's like a masonary heater, only without the masonary.

in all seriousness the estimates i've made on weight bring it in at about 465 lbs which is still god awful heavy but that's what you get when you use heavy materials and over build some parts.

Thanks for clearing that up. I didn't want to be rude, but I couldn't dope out how you got 1.9 tons with 1/4-inch boiler plate. My boiler is made of 3/8-inch stock and when fully tricked out with the brick and all the extras, it comes in at less than 1,000 pounds. You won't have any trouble moving it if you plan ahead and use your head, which seems likely.

Did you ever find a logger to deliver firewood in your area, Corie? I forgot to look, but I will.

yeah, I was joking about the two tons thing! haha

Although, when the ups guy was bringing all the boxes of steel to the door he was probably thinking he moved a couple tons.

I never did find a firewood supplier, and unfortunately I've been home so infrequently that I haven't even been able to do much scrounging. If you do get a chance to look though, I'd appreciate it. Hopefully I can scrounge hard this weekend when I head home.

Update of the day: Flue collar arrived, 1.5 weeks ahead of schedule. All i need now is the insulation and stove body and I'll have all parts in house.

What are you doing for a front door, Corie?

I've got a black cast iron door with a 14.5 x 8.5 glass window. Pretty nice piece overall and only set me back about 100 bucks brand spankin new. Goes very well with the look of the stove imo.

Status
Not open for further replies.