1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)

Ping Warren---question on Os1800

Post in 'The Hearth Room - Wood Stoves and Fireplaces' started by KateC, Oct 9, 2006.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    Not excluding anyone else from chiming in of course. Got the insert installed about 6 weeks ago----haven't burned a whole lot yet but it's certainly getting a good breaking-in. Anyway, cleaning the glass this morning I noticed the thin strips of cloth between the glass fraying a bit and even pulling up in a couple of spots. Before I call the dealer and pitch a fit----is this normal or a Big Deal-and-don't-light-the-stove thing?
    Kate

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    Hi Kate,

I had a little of the same and I just snipped them with a sizzor. I wouldn't Pull on them, that's the Gasket material for the door and glass. I have a little near the bottom of my glass in the center that frayed a bit, but it stopped.

As long as the door is sealing your just fine. I'd say Keep burning!
  3. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    Thanks for the quick reply Warren. I won't worry about the fraying then, but like I said, a couple of spots have already pulled out ( and no, I didn't pull or pick at it) and I can even feel the edges of the glass ----I smushed it back in and wonder what might have caused it----if just wiping the glass with a damp paper towel could have loosened it, not enough glue, and should I bug the dealer anyway since it's under warranty?
  4. wg_bent

wg_bent Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Poughkeepsie, NY
    I'd take a picture and ask the dealer. Post it here too.
  5. KateC

KateC New Member

Loc:
    Arizona
    No digital yet, and my printer is temporarily offline so no pics. When I showed bf the gaskets he thought it's okay and we should just keep burning until it gets bad enough to make 'em give us a new door. Can't say I agree, but he's had a bad week with stuff getting stolen so I'll let it drop for now and just keep an eye on it. Dollar test was good.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.