Pinnacle PB 150 Pellet use

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
I am happy to say that I just finished installing my used PB 150 Pellet boiler in series with my existing Smith propane boiler. It has taken a couple of days to get it adjusted. I am a bit concerned about the pellet use so far and I am not sure if I have something still slightly out of adjustment. I have a 2,400 sq ft house and I burned 3 bags of pellets today. It started out in the high 40's here in New York and dropped to around the freezing mark. Does this seem normal to all of you PB 150 operators out there? Just seems like a little much.

I have the boiler on the 16 minute pilot setting and the pilot draft fan on medium. I have radiant floor heat so the aquastat is set at 150.

The other issue was that the domestic water coil had a hole in it which caused me to have to just cap it off. The stove was manufactured in 2008 and was used for one year prior to me purchasing it used. Anyone else have a simular problem with their coil? I may be better off going with a boiler mate than repairing or replacing the coil.

Other then these issues I am happy to be off of propane! :exclaim:

Apple Farmer said:
I am happy to say that I just finished installing my used PB 150 Pellet boiler in series with my existing Smith propane boiler. It has taken a couple of days to get it adjusted. I am a bit concerned about the pellet use so far and I am not sure if I have something still slightly out of adjustment. I have a 2,400 sq ft house and I burned 3 bags of pellets today. It started out in the high 40's here in New York and dropped to around the freezing mark. Does this seem normal to all of you PB 150 operators out there? Just seems like a little much.

I have the boiler on the 16 minute pilot setting and the pilot draft fan on medium. I have radiant floor heat so the aquastat is set at 150.

The other issue was that the domestic water coil had a hole in it which caused me to have to just cap it off. The stove was manufactured in 2008 and was used for one year prior to me purchasing it used. Anyone else have a simular problem with their coil? I may be better off going with a boiler mate than repairing or replacing the coil.

Other then these issues I am happy to be off of propane! :exclaim:

Do you actually have the boilers in series? If so you are really losing your heat to things like jacket loss and heating extra water.

That alone will increase your pellet consumption.

Yes they are in series. The supply on the PB 150 enters the propane boiler to satisfy the propane aquastat. After exiting the propane boiler it enters the radiant floor manifold and then returns to the PB 150.

I do not have the pipes insulated and I could do some work to tighten the basement up to remove drafts.

Thanks for the input.

You also might want to talk to the folks in the boiler forum.

They should be able to provide you with information on how to set things up in a different manner.

Is your domestic hot water coming off of either of the two boilers?

Status
Not open for further replies.