Pipe cap after 4 Days of high wind (pics)

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

bogydave

Minister of Fire
Dec 4, 2009
So Cent ALASKA
Cap almost blew totally off, one leg holding it on. Must have missed the back leg with the clamp when I put it on after cleaning 6 weeks ago.
Don't know how that leg didn't break, was bent but fixable.
Wind calmed down to about 10 MPH so I went up & fixed it. It was still COLD up there!!!
Remember the nice 14" of snow over everything, looked good , now I can see some grass, the roof is mostly clear.
50 MPH wind & some higher gusts for 4 days.

11°, high scattered overcast, nice sunset, 10 MPH winds.
That little #2*!! screw (bolt) that holds the clamp is a PIA to take off & put on in warm weather.
Having to do it without gloves at 10 ° & wind is worse yet, but I didn't drop anything & no frost bit fingers.
May change it to a big "hose clamp" type so a socket screw driver would work.
Forgot to take a pic after it was back on, was in a hurry to get my hands warmed up.

Some snow drifted the back garage door, storage shed door & window screen closed.

Attachments

• 100_7135.jpg
    100_7135.jpg
    28.2 KB · Views: 277
  • 100_7138.jpg
    100_7138.jpg
    39.8 KB · Views: 258
  • 100_7139.jpg
    100_7139.jpg
    56.6 KB · Views: 274
  • 100_7140.jpg
    100_7140.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 271
Hard to tell, but do I see guy wires on the pipe? Maybe switch out to some bars and brackets. Wouldn't help the cap though.

Just curious, what time was sunset?

Adios Pantalones said:
Now the pipe wears its cap at a jaunty angle. It's a free-wheeler

Maybe his cap is into hip-hop...

homebrewz said:
Hard to tell, but do I see guy wires on the pipe? Maybe switch out to some bars and brackets. Wouldn't help the cap though.

Just curious, what time was sunset?

around 4:30. up to 7 hours of daylight. we are gaining 5 Min a day now :) http://www.timeanddate.com/worldclock/astronomy.html?n=18

I might take the guide wires & put them on a separate clamp just for them. I would make taking the cap off for cleaning easier.
Advantage of a hose type clamp on the cap legs, it would stay on the legs & not come all the way off like when I take out the small bolt that holds/tightens the split clamp.
After I thawed out, I though of things I can do to improve what I have now. (All warm day projects) :)

PapaDave said:
I'm reminded of Gene Kelly for some reason.

I don't envy having to move that snow from the doorway.

I might just wait a few months let it melt :)

Status
Not open for further replies.