pipe cleaning.

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ohiojoe13

Feeling the Heat
Dec 22, 2014
alliance ohio
First year burner here with a ashford 30. I want to clean my chimney myself just a few questions. The chimney Is about 16 feet total with 2 45s. My plan is to clean it from the bottom up. Do I need a a metal or a nylon brush. My plan is to remove the double wall pipe from the stove and remove the 2 45s. Then it's just a straight shot up. But how do I go about cleaning the cap? Thanks for all the help.

I use a sooteater to clean from the bottom up through two 30's and it works great. I think the literature on the sooteater says it can go through 45's? I know they are well liked on this forum and that's what led me to buy two. I followed the advice on here and bought two complete kits rather than the extra rods I needed. Now I have an extra head. Mine does okay with the cap, but I did need to climb up there once last year when the screen got clogged. I am going to remove the screen this year when I start burning 24/7.

I should have added that I go up through the bypass when cleaning the flue. Then I disconnect the pipe from the stove and shop vac everything that fell in behind the cat.

If it's class A pipe they recommend a nylon brush

I use a sooteater to clean from the bottom up through two 30's and it works great. I think the literature on the sooteater says it can go through 45's? I know they are well liked on this forum and that's what led me to buy two. I followed the advice on here and bought two complete kits rather than the extra rods I needed. Now I have an extra head. Mine does okay with the cap, but I did need to climb up there once last year when the screen got clogged. I am going to remove the screen this year when I start burning 24/7.
I actually think I am going to remove my screen also. It seems to be the only part that gets dirty. Around me we have a lot of Amish and none of them have caps or screens on their chimney's.

To the OP I use a sooteater also. It works really good. I highly recommend it. Follow the instructions and trim it beforehand or it could get stuck. I use mine even going through a 90 degree pipe I just angle the drill down and it works perfect.

Status
Not open for further replies.