Pipe Damper Questions - 1450

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Mike M.

Feeling the Heat
Mar 18, 2012
Green Bay, WI
So finally today I installed a damper for my 1450 napoleon stove. The stove ran super hot pipe temps and I think I may have been wasting fuel. So far I have not adjusted the damper (it is open) and the stove seems to run hotter while the pipe runs cooler. Is this common with a key damper? Even if it is in the open position? Also, when burning off coals I always have the stove controls wide open, where should the damper be in this situation?

I believe that just having the damper in there restricts flow to some degree. Perhaps that is enough for you during the warmer times, then as it gets really colder you may need to close it a bit more.

You'll just have to play with it. Lower pipe temps today could be due to local weather conditions. Maybe the temp wasn't very cold? Maybe the air was a bit heavy? Less draft than normal naturally?

The damper even open will change flow characteristics some, but in all you'll just have to play with it to see what works best.

Do you have a super tall straight up chimney that's drafting like crazy and giving you high pipe temps? Short burn times?

pen

Yes my chimney is straight up, no 45s or 90s. However its not that tall, maybe 20 feet. Today when I took it apart I could feel a lot of draft. My stove did have short burn times and over fired like crazy. Pipe surface temps, single wall, would exceed 650 often.

Make sure all gaskets (like the door) are sealing well, and keep us posted if you don't see a change.

Status
Not open for further replies.