Pipe differences

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

awitek

Feb 26, 2008
Ohio
I'm between an Enerzone 2.5zc and Xtrordinair 36.
My stove store recommends triple walled insulated ss for the Enerzone.
The Xtrordinair takes air insulated double wall galv. then ss.
The Enerzone pipe is 3x the price than the Extordinair.
Both fireplaces rate about the same BTUs. The X has a bigger firebox and is a cat.
Why the big difference in pipe? Does the Enerzone need triple walled ss because that much more heat is escaping out the chimney?

Much of this has to do with testing. The FPX was tested with the lower prices double wall air-cooled piping...used for builders grade double wall fireplaces. It does cost much less.

Enerzone (SBI) uses standard HT pipe - which is what most built-ins use. There may be some advantages to this, as air-cooled pipe can - in certain cases - result in some cold air dumped into the area behind the fireplace (the built in area)...which can then leak into the house or make the heavy fireplace radiate cold.

Thank you for the response.
After further reading I see the enerzone takes 6 inch and the FPX takes 8 inch pipe.
I prefer the look of the FPX and it gets good ratings from customers.
Most folks around here haven't heard of the enerzone. The two dealers who carry it say they offer it as a cheaper alternative but don't have much other positive things to say. On the otherhand, dealers love the FPX.
It's a lot of money and I want to make sure I make the right choice.

Status
Not open for further replies.