pipe for stove

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

netmouse

May 25, 2008
North NJ
I had a stove store vendor visit to estimate replacing my really old stove. He priced a new stove, then inspected the pipe. The pipe goes out the middle of the dining room wall and then goes straight up the outside of the house and is several feet above the roof. He said the pipe was an issue because it sort of curved towards the top inward and was too close to the siding. He would not replace the stove unless that is fixed and maybe replaced if the manufacturer cannot be identified.

I called the original installer who installed the stove maybe 25 years ago. He said the pipe should be fine as it has a triple wall and can even go against the siding. He asked if any siding was melted, and it is not. My chimney sweep also has never mentioned anything at my annual cleanings all these years.

Does the pipe, then, sound OK based on this?

The manufacturer of the pipe needs to be determined. There is no chimney that is literally "0" clearance. There is always a required clearance usually of 1"-2". I used to be able to identify chimney based on construction characterisitics, cap styles etc. and I would think that your local sweep or installer should be able to get close. The other thing to take into consideration is whether is is HT rated or not (1700 degree chimney or 2100 degree chimney.)

Status
Not open for further replies.