Pipe identification new-please help

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Alex m

Sep 4, 2013
Hello, last year was my first year in our new house which came with a hearthstone II. I just got the parts to rebuild it from 30+years of use. I was attempting to take off the chimney cap this spring (in a battle to keep birds out) and the top stick of pipe came off and got all bent up. Im having a hard time identifying the pipe. I tried super vent, dura vent and Simpson. I then got some Selkirk sure temp at the recommendation of an old timer at Selkirk . It goes on and twists and feels secure but if you rock it back and forth it will come off.

image.jpg image.jpg

The old pipe has no fasteners or locking bands and the new pipe came with a locking band (which has nothing to attach to on the older pipe). Can anyone Id my old pipe or tell me how to secure the new sure temp to the old pipe.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    181.1 KB · Views: 149
I think it's security chimney. It has no ribs on the outside of the joint, just a smooth transition. I think it was originally riveted together, just use some self tapping SS screws.

Thanks Webby. It also is marked made in Canada on the edge of male side. You are correct that there is no rib or bump on the female side. So security is a brand? Is it odd that the sure-temp fits on there...kind of? I'm new to the fire game so take it easy on me :)

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    139.8 KB · Views: 137
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    389.9 KB · Views: 146
Security is still around, I'm not sure it's the same though. If the other pipe is a nice fit and its outside of the house, screw it on there.

Just make sure to put the screws above the joint a half inch or so, they won't hit anything on the bottom side of the joint.

Ok... The sure temp goes on snugly but just doesn't really lock (which would be taken care of by the screws). As long Is there is not a concern of me turning my house into a pile of ashes it sounds good to me... Lol

Ok... The sure temp goes on snugly but just doesn't really lock (which would be taken care of by the screws). As long Is there is not a concern of me turning my house into a pile of ashes it sounds good to me... Lol
Is it outside of the structure?

Are all the (other) joints visible - can you do a sanity check on the entire chimney? One section letting go makes me wonder about the entire run (after 30 years of service)...?

Thanks for the replys. The chimney is twenty years old and is in excellent shape. I was attempting to take the top stick and cap off to figure out how to bird proof it. (After we quit having fires last season I was getting a bird a day in the stove). My fat fingers led to it nose diving off the roof. Security confirmed it is an older version of their ahst pipe. Thanks to webby for the suggestion.

I was attempting to take the top stick and cap off

Gotcha - top stick coming off was intentional. Glad it was only the pipe that took the nose dive - don't feel bad - I seem to have a greater tendency to fall off of / break / fubar stuff these days.

Bats seem to like my house chimney (and the odd squirrel in the sauna stove too). Good luck with the rebuild.

Bats are a cuss word in our house.... Just finishing the last battle in the war against them in my gas fireplace!!! I will definitely start a thread on the hearthstone II rebuild if you guys would be interested in it.

lol - last bat episode for us was a couple weekends ago - I got up in the wee hours (pardon the pun) to use the bathroom, flipped the light on, and had a bat flapping around the room. Thank God my wife didn't discover it instead - probably would have woken up the folks a half mile down the road. Luckily I managed to catch it in a big bath towel first try (a small room and it had nowhere to go). Every year 1 or 2 manage to sneak in....

Get a screen in that cap, and your bird issues will be gone.

really shouldn't advise folks to mix/match pipe brands.
how would the ave homeowner know if it is a good fit? (inner and outer)
I steered him in the right direction.

Last edited:
Some pipes look very much the same and fit together good but wont lock

Status
Not open for further replies.