Pipe Insulation Question

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

dogwood

Minister of Fire
Mar 22, 2009
Western VA
I need to purchase pipe insulation for 1 1/2" black iron pipe for the supply and returns to my Solo Innova and storage tank. My local vendor does not carry that size. I believe the pipe's outside diameter is 1 7/8 ". Does anybody know a a supplier I could order this from, preferably with reasonable prices. I'll be needing 100 or more feet. All the pipe will be indoors either in the boiler room or in the attic for the most part, nothing buried.

Also, I notice there are different types of pipe insulation. I've seen a black rubbery kind, and another kind that looks like yellow fiberglass with a white covering. and maybe other types. What should I be looking for? Is one type preferable to another? Is there an insulation (R?) value, or thickness, I should be shooting for? Any suggestions or advice would be appreciated. Thanks.

Mike

Status
Not open for further replies.