pipe joint sealant?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

zanp

Dec 4, 2007
Asheville NC
Installing a flex liner with a rigid bottom tee connection. What is the best product to use to seal up the connection between the tee snout and the tee body? Is it critical to get this air tight?

This is a basement install in an existing thimble through cinder block wall. The thimble size is 8" and the pipe is 6". I will seal the thimble air space with high heat pipe insulation.

Yikes, no.

The thimble is supposed to have a two inch air gap. You need the trim piece. If you don't have access to the inside to place that trim piece just having the outside trim piece is OK. The air gap itself provides insulation by having the air move around it.

So if I read this correctly, you've got a stovepipe T coming off the back of the stove, then to flex pipe, then this goes through the wall?

Let me be a little more specific about my situation.

This is for my basement renovation project (insulating walls and installing new EPA stove). There is an 8" diameter thimble through the cinder block wall that connects to a 6"x6" terra cota lined chimney. Before my project there was an old Mama Bear Fisher stove connected to the thimble (no stainless liner in chimney). I have purchased an Englander stove and have lined the chimney from the top w/ 5.5" flex liner. I attached the vertical section of the tee to the flex liner before dropping the pipe and finally got this to the bottom of the chimney where my basement thimble is. This was very difficult as the 6" chimney takes 4 turns from the top to snake around the main level fireplace. It was stuck 24-inches from the bottom for weeks. I had to grind portions of the lip off which was difficult 24-inches up the chimney through an 8-inch thimble.

The part. A 2 piece tee (vertical section and horizontal section that attaches via an adjustable clamp.) This connection occurs inside the chimney.
http://www.chimneylinerdepot.com/store/522/product/Complete-Flex-Liner-Tee-5.5-inch.html

I will attach stove pipe to the tee. The stove pipe will attach directly to the top of the stove in the room.

See photos for visual. Photo 3 is the area I think I need to seal.
http://picasaweb.google.com/zanprice1/ChimneyLinerInstall#

Status
Not open for further replies.