Pipe noise

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

donfils

Nov 15, 2011
Central Virginia
I am have problem with the booming sound from the stove pipes. I installed a Simpson a 3 inch piping package for the stove and I had to add a adjustable 3 inch pipe in the back of the stove to accommodate the pipe strap for securing the pipe to the house. How can I correct the sound problem?

Also what is the best brand wood pellete to buy?

Thank you!

"Booming Sound" ???.......If I were in an advanced college literary class right now and the professor told me to use the word "vague" in a sentence, I would have no problem. You sound kinda like my wife at the car mechanic describing the problem. Anyway, if you could be a little more specific, I can assure you that some of these experts here will solve your problem. As for the pellets? You are in Virginia, home of Turman Wood Pellets, the best freaking pellets in the whole universe.

donf said:
Also what is the best brand wood pellete to buy?

Thank you!

Hard to really say which is the absolute best overall. But there are many brands that burn hot and clean. As JCL said Turmans are a local pellet for you and they have done very well for me and many others on the forum. Its an Oak pellet that has a gritty ash so some of the stoves with dumps like the quads have a slight issue with them binding the linkage assembly. Other than that they rock! So do some other brands like Okanagans, Spruce Pointe, Cubex, Barefoots, Somersets, Hamers are all worth trying. I am sure I missed a few brands. Just learned of a pellet that seems worthy of a trial if you can find them. Penn pellets and they are another all Oak pellet.

Half the fun of burning pellets is finding out what burns decent at a reasonable price. So I suggest you try about any brand you can get in your area. Your stove will tell you which is worthy for consumption. Or gather a list of available fuel, Do a search here and see what peeps say. Use the majority rule. If more peeps are saying yuk? They probably aren't worth trying. But your 6041HF is a multifuel unit so it would be less forgiving on the lower grade fuels.

As for the noise? I thought smokeythebear gave you a good answer in your other thread. Also its generally not the pipe that causes it but the volume of air the stove forces through the piping. Do you hear the noise inside? And what is the vent configuration?

Welcome to the group! Don't be put off by the JCL 'put down'. Many of us experience the booming sound and know what you are talking about. I always get the rumbling during initial start up when an abundance of pellets have been fed into the burn pot and I get a really vigorous flame going. Once the stove settles down, there is no more booming. If you still get the sound, then, perhaps, you are feeding too many pellets. Your manual should tell you how high your flame should be when the stove is set on High. Adjust accordingly.

Make sure you put your stove specifics in your 'signature' so we know how to better address your problems.

tjnamtiw said:
Make sure you put your stove specifics in your 'signature' so we know how to better address your problems.

I agree, I had to look back at an old post to see what stove he is using. Knowing what the stove is upfront helps us nerds greatly! ;-)

j-takeman said:
tjnamtiw said:

I agree, I had to look back at an old post to see what stove he is using. Knowing what the stove is upfront helps us nerds greatly! ;-)

I was too lazy to look back at his old post, J. :red:

tjnamtiw said:
j-takeman said:
tjnamtiw said:

I was too lazy to look back at his old post, J. :red:

I was stahling the leaf duties the wife assigned for today's to-do list! So? hehe! :cheese: But I'll use the more commited theory! ;-) jk hehe!!! %-P

My to-do list has not gotten any shorter in 39 years of marriage!!!! Ah, they were a couple of great years!!! :cheese:

Thank you for all your pellet suggestions.

The booming sound is inside the house, it sounds like like a boom box in a car. I want to get rid of the noise. The noise occurs regardless of how many pellets are in the hopper and currently I have the setting on low heat.
Here are the details about the stove and the piping. The stove is two weeks old and it's made by United State Stove company, model number 6041HF purchased from Home Depot. I also bought a Simpson 3 inch pipe kit that includes five 12 inch pipes, a stove pipe adapter that fits into the back of the stove, and also included an exterior pipe strap. Based on the manufacture's instruction I installed the pipe adapter in the back of the stove including two 12 inch pipes connecting the back of the stove to the outside stack (three 12 inch long pipes). The the pipe adapter and the two 12 inch pipes were too long to be secured to the house with the strap provided in the package. In order to make it work I had to buy an adjustable pipe to make it six inches shorter so I can secure the three 12 inch pipe/stack outside the house with the strap. I hope this information is helpful. Thank you!

I looked over your manual and don't see any reference to flame height at the highest setting so that rules out that check. :-S Like I did say, however, if too many pellets are fed into the burn pot and the flame is too high and vigorous, you'll get the booming sound. If you are running at a low setting, then I would imagine that you would see a very small flame. I would try adjusting your damper to decrease the air supply to the burn pot. Hopefully someone with US Stove will chime in. I would also do a search for 'booming' or 'drumming' sound, if I were you as this topic was discussed a lot last winter. It's definitely something that many people have encountered.

Status
Not open for further replies.