Pipe not square to fireplace?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.

DRD

Nov 3, 2023
Ab
Been reading this forum for some time but finally came across something I couldn't find by searching.

My installer says the angle of the pipe in relation to the fireplace is ok however I'm not exactly sure. It's around 24' of S-2100 with appropriate adapter to fit this little Astria Ladera. I've had a couple smaller fires to help dry out the refractory and verify everything works. Draft seems ok, no leaks etc. Just looking for some feedback on all your thoughts before I close it up or move the FP which would be pain due to clearance for OAK etc.

DSCF3133.JPG DSCF3134.JPG

What part of this instruction does the installer disagree with?
After locating the desired location and framing in the fireplace, use a plumb bob to line up the holes with the Flue Collar.

That's not right. It should be more plumb and centered in the chase. You can see the fireplace is not centered in the chase. Can the Ladera be moved over to the right an inch? It looks like there is room.

It shouldn’t affect the safety or performance. It’s just very uncraftsman like. I’m not familiar with that fireplace, but the adaptor doesn’t look right. Everyone I’ve installed requires an anchor plate on the top of the fireplace. A plate with the male end of the chimney made into it.

It shouldn’t affect the safety or performance. It’s just very uncraftsman like. I’m not familiar with that fireplace, but the adaptor doesn’t look right. Everyone I’ve installed requires an anchor plate on the top of the fireplace. A plate with the male end of the chimney made into it.
Hope that is not uninsulated single-wall being used to connect.

If this is SecureTemp S-2100 chimney pipe then Security makes a ZC anchor plate, part XSP, but in this case, it sounds like Security part 6UCA is required.

This is in the manual.
The fireplace is supplied with a chimney adaptor suitable for the ASHT+ / HT6103+ chimney*. If you want to install a S-2100+ / HT6000+ chimney, an adaptor is available (6UCA*)

Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 6.14.21 PM.png

Sure looks like single wall to me
Pipe is a lot bigger than the outlet of the stove in that last pic...funny looking single wall

Zoom in, This is a ZC fireplace and that's not a stove outlet.
Screenshot 2023-11-05 at 5.43.09 PM.png

Pipe is a lot bigger than the outlet of the stove in that last pic...funny looking single wall
I was referring to the adaptor on the top of the fireplace. I thought that was obvious by my previous comment…

It is the 6UCA adapter installed. I reworked the outside air inlet and was able to move the FP over around 1.5" which made a big difference in how it looks. Functionally it may be the same but it would have driven me nuts not being 100% sure it was safe.

Well done. The instructions make it look like the single wall sleeve on the adapter faces down, into the fireplace. Did straightening it out allow the sleeve to seat deeper so that the single-wall part is no longer showing?

The adaptor was installed correctly, it slides in and twists to lock, and then secured with 3 screws. It's not really single wall as I know it, it's 1" insulation. 6" ID and 8" OD. It does look off since the main stack is 10" OD.