Pipe outside, about 18 inches from ground

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

geek

Minister of Fire
Feb 28, 2008
Central CT
My basement install is coming together (little by little though...) and I currently have a "dry fit" and placed all the pipes together before putting any silicone.

Outside the pipe is about 18 inches from the ground without the end cap which as you know has a curve at the end that you can turn any direction you want.

In this situation, would you just turn it to the side to keep the 18 inches clearance and then dig out some dirt to increase the clearance, or would you turn it down and then dig out some dirt?

Is 18 inches ok, what's the recommended minimum for cold states like CT ?

the roof is not coming down from that side of the house, snow can acumulate though, I guess it would be a matter of keeping an eye......what you think?

I don't want to put another elbow there to go up again, right?

Whats on the ground there? If yuou are going to leave it at 18" you should put down rocks or sand. Clearances are prob technically 24". Putting on an elbow and going up some would only add two more elbows and short vertical, this is not much for a pellet stove, as they have powered exhaust. It will make it more work to clean the vent (unless you use a leaf blower).

right now there's some mulch in the ground which I plan to remove, then dig down a few inches and finally put gravel, maybe that's what I should do.

oh, another question: the connection to the stove may not be so secured without screws (macman suggested to use screws....) but looking at the exhaust tip at the stove is is steel, how do you guys do this specially if there's no much room there to drill a hole (pipe only comes out a couple inches).

geek said:
oh, another question: the connection to the stove may not be so secured without screws (macman suggested to use screws....) but looking at the exhaust tip at the stove is is steel, how do you guys do this specially if there's no much room there to drill a hole (pipe only comes out a couple inches).

I'd use 3 equally spaced self drill screws "Tek screws" into the stove collar and a ring of high temp silicone.

We have found drilling holes for screws just makes more spots for smoke to leak out. Use a genreous ammount of silicone and let it cure before burning and it will never come apart.

geek,

As WoodHeatStoves suggested, Check your local code for high from ground. My local was 32" min. from ground to bottom of vent. When inspected I only had 24". I was required to add pipe before it passed, So I went to 48".

I believe this rule in the code is for max snow fall in my area. If you are not up to code and if there is ever an issue. Insurance Co. may balk at the claim. Just FYI.

Best to be safe!!!

jay

My pipe is 18" off the ground pointed towardds the ground and I have no problem with snow accumulation. As a matter of fact all last winter there was a 5 foot circle of clear ground around the exhaust vent.

thanks to all, I will call the local building dept guys to make sure.

Final question, how far or close to the wall can the vent cap be, on my install either the pipe will be out too much or a little short where the vent cap pipe will be twisted/locked to the other pipe just inside the thimble, so the cap will be around 6 inches away from the wall, I assume this should be fine...

geek said:
thanks to all, I will call the local building dept guys to make sure.

Final question, how far or close to the wall can the vent cap be, on my install either the pipe will be out too much or a little short where the vent cap pipe will be twisted/locked to the other pipe just inside the thimble, so the cap will be around 6 inches away from the wall, I assume this should be fine...

You need to be at a minimum of 12" from the wall. I have mine at 18" this way the siding stays clean and no heat near the siding.. 6" is way to close...

Status
Not open for further replies.