pipe size

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

monkey

Nov 29, 2009
western washington
Hi,this my first post on this site so bear with me until i figure out how you do things.
I was looking at this post about pipe size this what i am working with:

I have 6inch outlet on top of stove which i installed 6inch pipe one 4foot section, then elbow, then 18inch piece going into wall. From there elbow going up masonary
chimney that is 8inch for about 16feet. About 2feet of 8inch pipe with cap is above brick.

The problem i have is i can not get a fire to lit. It goes out when i close the door. I have a digital thermometer and the average is about 400degrees on top of stove.
I personally believe what my problem is that i more air pressure in 8inch pipe going up brick chimney chocking the 6inch pipe. My solution is to
increase the size of pipe from top of stove to brick chimney so i have 8inch all the way to top of pipe with cap on and maybe add one 2foot section to raise the height of chimney.

Hi, monkey here i will try one more time, will it be better for me to go 6inch all the way from top of stove to
of stack,or go with 8inch all the way from top of stove to top of stack,thank's

Before changing the piping, the first thing I would look at is the wood that's being burned. It could be that the stove setup is ok. If you can get some known, dry wood and try burning a load of that, it would tell whether the current setup is ok. Maybe go to the store and get a bundle of dry firewood for a test? Or at least mix in some dry carpentry scraps with the current wood.

What make/model stove is this? Is the masonry chimney outdoors?

Why is it so hard to get an answer to my new about sizing is because nobody knows the answer,so now here again same question
all i want is yes 6inch or yes 8inch so i can make better informed decision,thank's ps. if you do not know the answer just say so,thank's again

OK, i put bundle fine cedar in stove set it on fire it started to burn smoke billowed out of the door it was so bad that i could see
the beam from my ir. thermometor closed the door fire went right out,i will not even bring up pipe size as on this web site knows anything about pipi size i
will try another site,thank's

Pipe size will not make a difference. Sounds like an outside masonry chimney to me. When you open the door to the stove do you feel cold air rushing down the chimney? The best solution will be a 6" pipe from the stove all the way to the top. The pipe inside the masonry should be insulated.

At the very least, make sure that your 6" pipe to the chimney and the 8" pipe in the chimney are connected with a reducer to be airtight and make sure the cleanout door in the chimney is closing airtight.

Jason

hI, JASON WHAT I DID TODAY TO STOVE I TOOK IT APART AND PUT 8INCH PIPE FROM STOVE TOP TO CHIMNEY
I STARTED A FIRE IN IT AFTER I PUT IT BACK TOGETHER AND NOW I HAVE A CLEAN DOOR GLASS,CAN OPEN DOOR AND NOT HAVE SMOKE COME INTO ROOM
i ALSO HAVE HIGHER TEMP'S. ON TOP OF STOVE 450 TO 600DEGREES.
SMOKE GOING OUT OF CHIMNEY GOE'S STRAIGHT UP INSTEAD OF COMING OUT OF CHIMNEY AND FALLING OVER THE SIDE OF IT,BUT COULD OF GOTTEN MORE HELP FROM SITE,THANK'S FOR WHAT HELP I GOT

Status
Not open for further replies.