Pipe sizing guidance for new Napoleon 1100C Woodstove?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

ReedMikel

Oct 22, 2016
Monticello, NY
Hi all,
I've ordered a new Napoleon 1100C Woodstove to replace a Treemont TAC-380 (circa 1985). Someone must have run a HELLacious fire, because the damper plate is warped and stuck 3/4 open. So I ordered the Napoleon. My question concerns the piping size and chimney. Old stove has 8" single wall pipe that runs 12' straight to roof. When I spoke with a Napoleon tech guy, he said I should NOT reuse the 8" pipe - I think he said it might not draft properly. He said to use 6". I called a local stove installer and he dismissed Napoleon's advice, saying that since it was a straight shot to the roof, that I could reuse the 8" pipe and chimney system. I sensed he might be a bit lazy (took 3 days to call me back), and maybe just wanted a quick install...

I purchased the new Napoleon 1100C stove thru DirectBuy, a members only club (kinda like Costco), so I have to find someone local to do the install. Seems like many fireplace/stove stores only install units that they sold to customer. I'm going to have to keep searching for a good installer in the Monticello, NY area...

One other question - what about the existing exterior/chimney, does that need to get redone if I switch from 8" to 6" pipe inside the house? Single wall vs double - pros and cons?

Thanks, and sorry for my first post being so lengthy :)
-Mike

I'd be inclined to change the stove pipe to 6" and increase it at the ceiling support to 8".

I'd be inclined to change the stove pipe to 6" and increase it at the ceiling support to 8".
I was wondering about that approach, would definitely save some money. But would it perform even better if it was 6" inside and out? I'm not familiar with how a typical pipe changes as it goes thru the ceiling/roof. Can you point me to any info? Thanks

For sure the best solution is to have it 6" all the way. If the chimney pipe is old then maybe this is a good time to change it. This is a two story flue system installation diagram. If your installation is 1 story then ignore the 2nd floor chase and chimney section.

Interior flue system.png

For sure the best solution is to have it 6" all the way. If the chimney pipe is old then maybe this is a good time to change it. This is a two story flue system installation diagram. If your installation is 1 story then ignore the 2nd floor chase and chimney section.

View attachment 186281
Thanks BeGreen! My application is a 2 story high great room. It's about 12' ceiling height where stove pipe will penetrate roof. So a smaller diameter pipe will have better draft? If so, is it important to maintain that smaller diameter once it penetrates roof?

The Napoleon likes a good strong draft and may require 6" all the way. Still, with 12 ft of double-wall, 6" stove pipe running inside the draft may be ok unless the chimney outside is only 3 ft. Do you know how much chimney height there is outside?

The Napoleon likes a good strong draft and may require 6" all the way. Still, with 12 ft of double-wall, 6" stove pipe running inside the draft may be ok unless the chimney outside is only 3 ft. Do you know how much chimney height there is outside?
There's about 5 to 6' of chimney height outside. Would I want single wall or double wall pipe inside? What are the pros/cons of single vs double? I also ordered their outside air kit.

single wall: cheaper in price.

double wall: better draft and less creosote formation due to less cooling of flue gases, tighter clearances to combustibles.

with 12' of inside pipe I'd go with double wall to a ceiling box then 6" class A from there on up.

single wall: cheaper in price.

double wall: better draft and less creosote formation due to less cooling of flue gases, tighter clearances to combustibles.

with 12' of inside pipe I'd go with double wall to a ceiling box then 6" class A from there on up.
You're saying to use 6" double wall inside and 6" class A thru roof and up? Not sure what Class A is?

class A is insulated chimney pipe, in begreens diagram everything from the stove to the ceiling would be double wall and everything from the ceiling up would be class A.

There's about 5 to 6' of chimney height outside. Would I want single wall or double wall pipe inside? What are the pros/cons of single vs double? I also ordered their outside air kit.
Double wall. Most stove companies recommend double-wall for runs over 8ft. It will keep the chimney cleaner and improve draft. That will help performance during mild weather burning in fall and spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.