Pipe to chimney interface?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

JRP3

Feeling the Heat
Sep 17, 2007
NYS
I'm hooking up a woodstove in the basement but I'm not sure how I should attach the pipe to the masonry. Here are some pics of what I'm looking at, the pipe doesn't fit very tightly, is there some kind of adapter?

Attachments

• Pipe.jpg
    Pipe.jpg
    11.1 KB · Views: 319
  • Brick.jpg
    Brick.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 304
Yikes... is that galvanized? You do know that when heated enough galvanized releases a toxic zinc vapor right?

The pictures are so zoomed in I can't really tell whats going on except that you are putting a pipe through masonry.

You should have a thimble or crook in the masonry, and through that you need to put either Class A pipe or single wall stainless I believe. We don't really do that very often so I'm not an expert on it, but there are a few around here that are.

jtp10181 said:
Yikes... is that galvanized? You do know that when heated enough galvanized releases a toxic zinc vapor right?

The pictures are so zoomed in I can't really tell whats going on except that you are putting a pipe through masonry.

You should have a thimble or crook in the masonry, and through that you need to put either Class A pipe or single wall stainless I believe. We don't really do that very often so I'm not an expert on it, but there are a few around here that are.

The galvanized elbow is there just as a test but I thought you'd have to hit much higher temps to cause any reaction? Why do they sell galvanized if it's not safe, outdoor use? The previous owner used galvanized for the first wall pass through and I was going to replace that with black like the rest for looks. What's a "thimble" or "crook"?

It also apears from the picture that the pipe from the stove has a slope that is going down. The pipe should have a rise of like 1/4" per foot from the stove to the connection.

No, the stove is in another room to the right, the pipe passes through a brick and tile/clay pipe thimble(?) into this room then rises to as it goes into another brick and tile thimble into the chimney to the left. I guess my pic wasn't clear enough. It looks to me as if they just stuck a pipe into the tile/clay pipe, maybe I need to use a piece with the crimped male end with the raised ring to get a tight seal.

There seems to be alot going on here that would raise some red flags to a inspector. At the point of the thimble you could use a trim ring to fill the gap at the thimble. That seems to be a huge horizontal run of pipe, could just be the picture. You need 18" around the pipe from combustibles. If you dont have that you could use close clearance pipe which has 6" clearances. Is it an outside chimney? Depending on the flue tile size, you might want to consider using a liner through the flue tile.

It's a 6 ft. run of pipe, but there is an angle to it, though not much. This was a previous installation, the house was built in 1970. It's an inside flue in a large masonry chimney. There are 4 separate flues built into the chimney, it's quite massive. This will only be an occasional use setup when I'm in the basement or on really cold days.

FYI the galvanized single wall is not sold for wood burner use. A lot of double wall Class A pipe is galvalume (which is some form of galvanized / aluminum mix) on the outside which is fine because it doesn't get as hot.

We need the Webmaster (Craig) to reply on here. He knows quite a bit about doing this kind of install and will have all the answers.

Some better pics of the whole setup standing back would also help a lot. With it zoomed in so far you can't really tell whats going on.

Here are a few more pics of the setup. I've replaced the galvanized sections with black, and moved the plastic bins away so don't freak out :ahhh: However I think I may need something different in the second room the pipe passes through as the pipe does not run 18" away from the wall.

Attachments

• Stove.jpg
    Stove.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 196
  • Pipe2.jpg
    Pipe2.jpg
    21.7 KB · Views: 171
Double wall pipe would allow closer clearances. That is one weird setup.

Status
Not open for further replies.