Piping a woo boiler and its dump zone- What type of Copper?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

NewBoiler

Feb 23, 2010
Canada
I'm looking at piping an indoor wood boiler to my oil boiler and also to my dump zone in either copper or black iron pipe. It looks like ill be going with black iron as it is much cheaper, but I was going to price copper anyway. My question is what type of copper should I be using in the 1" 1.25" sizes, Type M, Type K, Type DMV, etc. Whats there difference and what do you recommend (best value for the money)?

Type L is what most contractors use. Type M is a thinner wall, but these days it seems really too cheap, and prone to pinholes. Maybe something to do with country of origin?

It goes M, L, & K M being the thinnest wall. DWV is a drainage pipe (drain, waste, vent), not commonly used for water or heat piping, I'm not sure the wall thickness. The price per foot pretty much tells the wall thickness.

hr

Status
Not open for further replies.