Piping elbows

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ecky

Aug 9, 2008
Central Ontario, Canada
I was thinking of using a 45 degree out of the back of the GARN with a short piece of pipe then another 45. Is this worth the effort or will it really make much of a difference over using 1 - 90 degree elbow? I would then repeat the procedure to get from the back of the unit along the side. So, in other words, would 4 - 45's be better then 2- 90's (for each supply and return pipe run)? Thanks.

The charts in Siegenthaler's book suggest maybe 20% or so less resistance to flow with the 45s. If you have the fittings anyway, why not? When is anything too good if it doesn't cost a lot more in money or time.

Dave is correct. A couple 45's with a nipple of at least 2 pipe diameters in length will decrease flow restriction 20% compared to a 90* ell. A few seemingly minor things like that along with the correct piping size can add up to a lot of difference in pumping power needed to move a given GPM. I'd say go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.