Piping Logistics

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

phantom

Jul 3, 2008
MA
HI All,

I am setting up the piping for my new Tarm and would love some feedback on how I have my pipes laid out.

Does the layout on the attached picture seem logical to you?

All the pipes are already assembled on the return side and I'm working on the supply side now. I ran into a snag with the Automag zone valve for the no power overheat loop. Originally I was going to mount it vertically along with the normal zone valve for my heat zone but it must be mounted horizontally to function.

On a related question to layout my indirect water heater now has it's own circulator off the existing oil boiler. I was planning on replacing this circulator with a zone valve and then just using the circulator on the Tarm return and the circulator on storage tank. Does this make sense to do? Or should I just continue using a circulator directly on the water heater supply?

thanks in advance,

Aaron

anyone? anyone? Bueller? Bueller? :)

Where does it cut off? The bottom of the picture should show a purple return line and a red supply line to and from the boiler. The only thing on those lines will be an air scoop on the supply side and a ball valve on both supply and return. The top of the picture are just pipes for the three loops I will have (heat, DHW, and Storage).

My biggest concern is where I've placed the storage loop on the supply side off my "manifold". It is the last component on the supply manifold as I really wanted to make sure that the heating loop is able to get as much flow as it needs before sending heat to storage.

thanks, Aaron

Thanks Nofossil

The existing oil boiler is actually going away as the Tarm is an Excel 2000 with both wood and oil.

Any thoughts as to whether or not I should remove the existing circulator attached to my Indirect water heater and just use a zone valve?

thanks again,

Aaron

phantom said:
Thanks Nofossil

The existing oil boiler is actually going away as the Tarm is an Excel 2000 with both wood and oil.

Any thoughts as to whether or not I should remove the existing circulator attached to my Indirect water heater and just use a zone valve?

thanks again,

Aaron

Seems like that ought to work just fine.

Status
Not open for further replies.