Pissed at local hardware store

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

jrogers999

Oct 9, 2011
Billerica Ma
Here's my story. Last Saturday beautiful 70 degree day. Thought to myself and decided to grab a cheap ton of pellets for the mild cool nights. Said to my wife we can go up the road to the local hardware store right around the corner from the house and grab a cheap ton. So I dropped the wife and child off at the park next door and checked out
My choices. New England pellet premium or Maine choice. Ehh. Both $249 a little high but convience and gas just seemed ok at the time. I chose New England pellet. Loaded up and brought home. Cut the wrap and cover and wallah, bags are wet on the outside. I'm like ok. Inspected them, seemed ok. Started to unload. Got to bottom of the pallet about 7 bags inside soaked, bricks of pellets. Great!!! So I brought the bags back and the moron manager was like these are best, lol we can go inside and replace them. I didn't even get a sorry. So skeptical i went inside and we started loading bags off the store floor display. I go these bags are wet on the outside too. He goes these have been in here for a week. I go ok I'll just take a credit for the bags I don't want these. So I got around $35 back. This guy claims its ok if pellets get wet, lol. Put them in your stove idiot. So I kept 43 bags. Didn't get an apology or some kind of customer satisfaction. I'll never buy pellets from them again.

Let me add. I got 4.8 tons of DRY spruce pointes already.

Reactions: DexterDay
I think the managers attitude tells the story. He does not take care of his products properly, nor his customers.

I don't give people like that my $$$'s.

Reactions: DexterDay
Sounds like the attitude of the hardware store that went belly up in my town!

Home Depot did the same thing to me. It was a long story but in a nutshell, one store said they had them...drove down there.....they didn't. Went to the next store after I made them put their hands on them and bought two tons. Got the first ton home and water had penetrated down through the entire center of the pallet souring almost all of the bags.

I offered to buy 4 or 5 tons if they would eat the delivery fee for my troubles (it's not easy to reload almost an entire ton of pellets and take them after you have removed the plastic from the pallet) and the manager said "no, we don't want to get involved in doing anything like that, we'll just give you your money back".

I should have asked to talk to the store manager but was in a hurry...so I went down the street the lowes and bought pellets instead.

Jerks.

well, if the OUTSIDE of the bag is wet, its one thng, but the INSIDE being wet?? Brick of pellets? Not good....when it happens to us, and it does, we just swap the pellets, bag for bag.....no big thing.

Never buy pellets that were stored outside. The aggravation that you got and the added running around does not add up. All of this could have been avoided.

Eric

Almost all pellets are wraped and stored outside.
Its how well they handle and care for them.

Not my stores. I wholesale pellets and will not supply a store that keeps them outside. I am not in it to just make a buck or two.

Eric

Aren't pellets in plastic bags kinda like water softener salt? How are they getting wet?

I forgot 1/2 a dozen salt bags in the back of one of my trucks a few years ago. Stayed outside for a month or two before I noticied. The salt was all fine still.

I had my pellets delivered this weekend and ran into a similar issue. Two tons of cubex, both double wrapped, but when I pulled the cover off some bags were a little wet. Not many overall but still enough to concern me. It was raining when the bags were being delivered so I had assumed that was the cause but when I unwrapped the LG's (same delivery) not a single bag was wet. If I had known this I would have ordered all LG rather than take any chances.

I plan on emailing the manager today and letting him know in case I run into issues burning later this winter.

It was Oconnors Hardware in Billerica ma. They do store them outside. Probably in a puddle. I haven't tried the spruces yet. I got a good deal on them from pellets directs in uxbridge. My first time ordering from them. Very happy with their service and selection. This is my second year burning. Last year I did 3 tons of green supreme, 2 tons of greene team and 2 of LG Granules. The LG's are the best I burned so far. My stove is a FS M55 cast.

That definitely sux but look on the bright side.....you very likely chose the better of the 2 brands IMO.

The managers attitude doesn't surprise me, unfortunately. I'd expect that from a big box store, not a mom n pop store. Wet pellets do happen from time to time. Usually the covers do a very good job protecting the pellets.

Aren't pellets in plastic bags kinda like water softener salt? How are they getting wet?

I forgot 1/2 a dozen salt bags in the back of one of my trucks a few years ago. Stayed outside for a month or two before I noticied. The salt was all fine still.

The pellet bags have very small holes in them because they have to still cool off after bagging. The bags are not water proof at all, you never want to use one as a garbage bag.

The pellet bags have very small holes in them because they have to still cool off after bagging. The bags are not water proof at all, you never want to use one as a garbage bag.

That... and it aids in palleting the bags. No holes = blowouts.

Manufactures rely on the outside cover bag and shrinkwrap to hold and protect the product from the elements. Some producers tarp thier stored pellets. a good wrap will protect it from the elements for months, even till the following burn season,

Some mills don't add a layer of plastic under the bottom layer(on the skid) like MWP does. Often the water damage is on the bottom where many don't even look.

Some mills don't add a layer of plastic under the bottom layer(on the skid) like MWP does. Often the water damage is on the bottom where many don't even look.
The latest ton of MWP I picked up didn't have plastic on the bottom. Just a sheet of thin cardboard on top of the pallet.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk 2

I can just imagine they left this pallet in a puddle. They lost my business.

I've had MWP's without anything on top of the pallet (some of the first batches the first year the mill was running) and since then a light cardboard sheet, or a plastic sheet has been on top of the pallet. But I haven't bought any pellets since spring of 2011.

ScotL said he was adding them to help, Maybe they don't anymore? The pallet I picked from at TSC did have a plastic sheet on the skid last spring.

Status
Not open for further replies.