Pit bulls running loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
:lol: Good one Kathleen!

We had a bull mix dog running around here last year. It started out sitting in front of my house barking from 10pm to 6am every day. No joke. Next, it started coming in the yard and roughing up my lab. The last straw was when it charged my 4 year old son when he was playing in the yard. If i wasn't right around the corner it could have been very ugly.

The next day i dropped it with my rifle in the field behind the house. I'm the biggest dog lover out there and hated to do it, but it had to be done. We gave the police/animal control a chance prior, but they weren't able to catch it. Sometimes you have to take matters into your own hands.

Don't poison the dogs. Its illegal and you can be prosecuted or an unintended victim may get it. It's not their fault and is in no ones best interest to have a dog suffer the excoriating pain involved with bleeding internally to death. Call animal control and demand the owners fined. Setup live traps and take them to a shelter where they will be euthanized humanely.
Dogs in packs behave entirely different than indivdual animals. Tell the owners that they are going after live stock and will be shot if they do so again. If you call animal control and police when you see them, they will take action against the owners after a couple instantances. Make sure to inform them of the live stock issue. This carries more weight than just dogs running loose.

When I was eight, we moved from the city out into the sticks. That fall, a huge red feral dog showed up with enough alpha male in him to organize a pack of 20 dogs or so. Our own little beagle groan joined the pack, as did most of the neighbors' dogs. It was like a canine version of Lord of the Flies. We weren't allowed to play outside, or even wait at the bus stop. Our parents would wait in their cars with us until the school bus arrived.

One by one, the neighbors were able to get their dogs back and lock them inside, but for a week or two it was a truly frightening thing. We thought that big red dog was finally gone, but a few weeks later he showed up in my backyard. He came at me fast and furious, but I got to safety on top of the swing set. He kept me pinned there for hours. Every time he'd wander away I'd climb down... and then right back up again as he charged. I was up there until my dad came home from work. He got out of the car and the dog took off, never to be see again. Good thing for him, because Dad would have loved to put a round into that evil SOB. The experience left me terrified of dogs for years.

Fast forward to about 6 years later. There was a big black lab that lived on the road to our school, and he was as mean and nasty as they come. He lived his entire life behind a chain link enclosure, but if you got within 100' of it he would go berserk trying to get you. None of us cared because the dog couldn't get at us. Then one summer day I was dribbling my basketball up the road to the high school and that devil dog appeared out of the bushes, snarling and growling and coming at me like a locomotive. Armed only with a big rubber ball I did the only thing I could do. Took aim, waited until he was almost on me, and heaved it at his head with all my might. Hit him smack dab on the nose. He took off crying and yelping, and I lost my fear of dogs that day.

Lesson One: There is no such thing as 100% secure. One slip up and some poor kid may end up in the ER... or worse.

Lesson Two: You don't need a lot of balls to confront a charging dog... just one.

I don't blame dog behavior on the owners, it's the dog who does the things we can't tolerate. What I do blame the owner for is the failure to recognize and accept that their dog has a dangerous behavioral problem. Seems everybody fancies themselves as an animal expert just because they have one and may have been raised with them, or read some books on them. Pride gets in the way of rational decision making, and these dangerous dogs are allowed to remain in private hands, often as ticking time bombs masquerading as a loving family member until one day they tweak and kill the owner. If you have such a dog, the only place for it is in a secure compound or in the ground. The notion that "I always have control of my dog" is one I have little faith in.

Another case even closer to home. We have a neighbor who loves animals and can't turn anything away. They picked up one stray that appeared to be just wandering. They stopped the car and the dog jumped in. So that dog found a new home and all seemed well. Fast forward to the next stray dog.....a pit bull. No collar so probably someone dropped him out here in the country. I've always hated people who do those things but that is another story. But shortly after the pit bull made a new home, this other once docile dog suddenly begins to get ugly. The pit bull got run over by a car and it appears to me the other one will probably meet the same end as he goes after the cars. Most times he won't go after me but if I happen to go past on the atv and going fast, then he comes at me. If I'm going slow he just stays on the porch. I even plow snow from these people's driveways and then the dog isn't bothered at all with me being there. Still, with him chasing, that could be an ugly ending for that dog. Around these parts most folks have the 3S plan in operation too for dogs like the pit bulls: shoot, shovel, shut-up.

Any breed can be a menace and should be dealt with accordingly. My wife found our pit on the side of the Interstate the day after Thanksgiving two years ago. Probably didn't come from a high end breeder, probably wasn't raised in the proper environment when she was young, but she is a damn good dog. That said, if it ever became an issue, I wouldn't hesitate to put a coal shovel to her head. I highly doubt that will ever happen.

Attachments

• 041711 riff raff on the heap.jpg
    041711 riff raff on the heap.jpg
    172.1 KB · Views: 369
I have always tried to put up fun pictures of our 2, but Murphy had a side to him that was bizarre!! not gonna mention what he did for me on the board. but i was definatly going to be in court if i hadnt stuck my arm in his mouth..i dont blame the pits at all..its the owners that have to be on the ball..

loon

DSC07842.jpg

Dogs bite, dogs hunt and kill. It's people that don't want these behaviors and need to train, propperly breed and be responsible for their animals. Dogs are pack animals and that means your family needs to be that pack, not left unattended outside or tied to box. This is how inmates are punished, solitary confinement. Dogs left without a human pack WILL become a problem if and when they get the oppuritunity.

Our Pit "Stella" is curled up right now between our Golden Retriever and our Golden Doodle if she isn't around them she will find a laundry basket to curl up in. She was "liberated" by my son and a couple of his girl friends from a house close to where he was living,she was chained to a tree with the chain wearing/growing into her neck. When he first brought her to our house she had to be on a leash or closely watched. After we decided to keep her we bought her a collar for our Invisible Fence (2 acre yard). After 2 days of training she knew where the boundary was and we have never had a problem of her leaving our yard.

Any stranger can pull into our driveway and she will bark 2-3 times and then run up and try to go for a ride with them. All our dogs have different personalities and I have always said I will never have a dog that would bite somebody. I have seen a lot of Lab's that get aggressive as they get older,hopefully she won't.

Gary

P.S

She is a lot smarter than our Golden Retriever! :cheese:

BrotherBart said:
I emptied a clip. Into the wood pile.

What are you crazy? :bug: Shooting up the wood pile?

I have had 2 experiences with pit bulls.
One friend had two and they were part of the family, lived in the house and seemed to be good dogs. Never an issue.
Another friends kid brought one home and a week later it tore the esophagus out of their Jack Russell and left it to die.

We just got a Leonberger pup (9 weeks old) and are spending a lot of time training and socializing him to the world.
Meeting many people and dogs as well as going to many different places and situations. Plus play and hanging out with the family. Already part of this pack.
I have read that this breed is generally loving, sweet and considered gentle giants. I am not willing to hope this happens with him.

Personally i would not own a pit bull. Besides their bad reputation and unpredictability. I can't say i have ever seen a good looking or cute pit bull.

That one on the right still looks hungry. He's looking at the person behind the camera like "Just a mouthful. Just a bit off the flank!"

btuser said:
That one on the right still looks hungry. He's looking at the person behind the camera like "Just a mouthful. Just a bit off the flank!"

:lol:

Thats Emma and i think the only thing i ever seen her 'chew' on was her big brothers ears :cheese:

DSC09671-2.jpg

But she also has a thing for Locust :coolsmile:

DSC09691-1.jpg

bfunk13 said:
I can't say i have ever seen a good looking or cute pit bull.

Oh I love the way they look!!! And the most that I have met have been sweet hearts and very melllow.

This thread is conjuring the image of the woman and the little boy stuck in the car during CUJO. I have a little infant and a vicious dog could terminate her in about 5 seconds. I have no use for lethal animals. If your dog is properly trained that is one thing. No one can take away your rights to own and care for an animal. If your dog or a neglected dog becomes a menace and a threat to safety, the dog suffers. I learned that as a kid with an Australian Shephard we owned that we didn't do a proper job of training. Unfortunately, she knocked a lawyer's son from his bicycle. Needless to say, that dog was put down the next day, and I learned a valuable lesson about responsible dog ownership. I have never owned a dog as an adult as I'm not willing to commit that time, so it's better that I don't have an animal.

rottiman said:
Very simple rule in our house, ALWAYS FOLLOWED: When Bear goes outside the house, he is ALWAYS on a leash or long lead and is accompanied.. We live in the country with the closest neighbor a 1/2 kilometer down the side road. My dog is my responsibility. This way, I and my dog are a problem to no one or anything else.
Simple rule with simple results.

He is one beautiful looking dog. I miss mine terribly. She was such a big baby. The only times she ever showed any aggression was when a friend jumped our fence without announcing himself (she had him pinned against the fence in about 5 seconds flat but didn't bite) and when we turned on a flashlight (again, no biting, but definately teeth). Figured out she had some type of training, as she responded to commands in German-she was an adoption and that was NOT mentioned! Rotties are one of my absolute favorite breeds. Wonderful dogs..love that stubbie wag when they're happy to see you! Very high contact dogs, they just love attention.

Most states have a shoot first, ask questions later type law for any animal found attacking livestock. Worth knowing about if you're in the country.

Our current dog is a work in progress, she had serious "people" issues we weren't told about when adopting her. She's getting better but is muzzled when in situations where she could have the opportunity to bite. Anyone breaking in...well...she's not muzzled in the house. She's very loving otherwise, and is getting better with people that we introduce her to. Dogs are a big responsiblity, like driving a car. But just like driving a car, not everyone will take that responsiblity.

1 st picture @ 8 hours old
2 nd picture @ 8 weeks old

Attachments

• Baby Rott.jpg
    Baby Rott.jpg
    28.3 KB · Views: 299
  • Bill's Collection 069 (Custom).jpg
    Bill's Collection 069 (Custom).jpg
    37.4 KB · Views: 299
Natural born killer right there. I miss mine every time I see your avatar. Had to put her down 2 years ago after a series of strokes. Saw her boyfriend last night and they had to put a ramp in for him to get up the porch steps. They are incredible companions if managed properly.

Oh-My-Gawd...he is just too cute! I just wanna grab those cheeks!

The 8 week old picture was taken the night he came home to stay. He turned 6 this past October

Hey Loon. What type of dogs are yours again? Are those Kuvasz? I have been thinking of a Marrema Sheep Dog when I get mine. Tough to decide, so many nice breeds.

Gasifier said:
Hey Loon. What type of dogs are yours again? Are those Kuvasz? I have been thinking of a Marrema Sheep Dog when I get mine. Tough to decide, so many nice breeds.

here they are here Gasifier ;-)

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Great_Pyrenees

On a side note...after what we went through with Murphy :shut: I will never buy another Pyrenees off a sheep farm that was breeding multiple times a year and selling cheap.. When the time comes we will be searching for a well known breeder either here in Canada or over in the States ;-)

Terry

Our neighbor had a Pyrenees...it destroyed their house, ate their couch...lol. It wasn't really happy with being cooped up inside all the time-they (the neighbors) a adopted it because they (their words, honest) thought it was cool to have a dog the size of a small cow. There's something to be said about reading up on a breed-a LGD is NOT a dog to treat like a cocker spaniel (which is what they have now).

Status
Not open for further replies.