Pit bulls running loose

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
eclecticcottage said:
Most states have a shoot first, ask questions later type law for any animal found attacking livestock. Worth knowing about if you're in the country.

Many towns also will reimburse for livestock loss to predators (dogs).
Here it was the local assessor.

Spent more $$ than I'd like fencing in my back yard because my neighbor has to own a Pit. I have no prejudice against the breed and have met some fantastic Pit Bulls. However I wouldn't trust any dog that is left outside in a sheltered kennel every day, cries most of the time he's out there, and seldom receives quality time with his owner. With the previous pit, there were a couple close incidents where he was loose and our dogs confronted each other. If our 13lb Havanese decided to do something stupid, it'd be over real quick for her. The 90 lb Labradoodle might survive but I doubt he'd escape uninjured. So up goes the fence.

Many moons ago as a young child I remember a one sided phone conversation that my Dad was having with a farmer. I heard my dad repeatedly state that the offending dog "Was NOT my dog". The dog was apparently harassing some live stock even as they spoke on the phone. After a few more "Not my Dogs" from my dad I heard him state - "If your so damn sure its my dog, then SHOOT it" and he hung up the phone. He then reached down to his feet and gave Laddie a nice head petting.

Adios Pantalones said:
It's sickening how much our pets suffer because of their $#!**y owners. We have a local pitbull rescue here- I have a lot of respect for the folks dedicating the time to the poor critters.

If you're going to get a dog, just be prepared for the good and bad.

Adios Pantalones said:
We have a local pitbull rescue here- I have a lot of respect for the folks dedicating the time to the poor critters.

My little dog is a pit/german mix. It was a rescue from a household that was trying to train it as a fighter. This dog simply does not have a mean bone in its body. Period. To anybody - stranger or friend.

i had to have my cheek sewed back on when I was 8 from some smallish terrier type dog that attacked me. Poor animal was abused, got loose, and just went nuts once it was away from its owners. I guess that should have made me scared of dogs, but I'm not. I truley find that the bigger the dog, the nicer they tend to be. Animals, even ones I'm not all that keen on, seem to like me. Same with kids, they all seem to like me (even though I'm not a kid person, yeah, I have one, what of it?). You just gotta feel bad for ill treated animals, and animals that just dont know any better. I've used the "Crocodile Dundee" method of animal mind control to great success over the years. Everyone, find an animal and practice. Practice till you get it right. Good luck. Cute dogs you guys. Look very tasty...thats a joke right there.

Jags said:
Adios Pantalones said:
We have a local pitbull rescue here- I have a lot of respect for the folks dedicating the time to the poor critters.

My little dog is a pit/german mix. It was a rescue from a household that was trying to train it as a fighter. This dog simply does not have a mean bone in its body. Period. To anybody - stranger or friend.

Ours was on the side of the Interstate in the city. Turns out it is one of two places they are routinely dumped if they don't make it as fighters when they are young. Seems her temperament was prescreened for us :coolsmile:

I have a 85 lb yellow lab. I have no issue whatsoever with my kids (1, 3, 5, 6) doing anything and everything to that dog Kplaing of course)...i know he will just lay there and take whatever they dish out.

My wifes grandmother has a mini schnauzer and i will not leave it unattended with the kids...been a couple close calls unprovoked.

My wife was attacked by a German Shepherd as a child and was severely mauled . . . still has a few scars from that encounter. She was just playing away with her brother when the dog came along, saw her and attacked.

And now the rest of the story . . .

The German Shepherd was owned by a state trooper and was tied up . . . but a bunch of other kids (not with my wife or brother) were tormenting the dog by throwing rocks at it . . . until the dog finally went berserk and broke the leash. Sadly, the dog had to be put down . . . and sadly . . . to this day my wife has a fear of big dogs . . . especially when they start to jump up on her.

Status
Not open for further replies.