Pittsburgh urban scrounge opportunity

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Jon1270

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2012
Pittsburgh, PA
www.workbyhand.com
Ad: http://pittsburgh.craigslist.org/zip/4203426304.html

Untitled.jpg

This is the lot surrounding a small apartment building. The landlords evidently had a tree service turn their tiny urban forest into a yard. None of the trees were huge, but the wood is a nice mix of cherry, black locust, mulberry, silver maple and elm. I took home a car load yesterday afternoon, at which point there was at least a full cord remaining. Access couldn't be easier; just drive right up to any of the piles.

I took home mostly cherry, for next year's shoulder season.

photo.JPG

Reactions: albert1029
Oddly, some of the cherry was already burnably dry even though the site looked like all the felling was done within the last few days. It wasn't standing dead either, but I metered a 4"+ branch round at 18%.

Oddly, some of the cherry was already burnably dry even though the site looked like all the felling was done within the last few days. It wasn't standing dead either, but I metered a 4"+ branch round at 18%.

I saw this ad on Craigslist and stopped on my way home from work today. Then when I got home I saw this post, haha. Here's a picture of my truck after I had already unloaded about half of what I got.....

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    278.2 KB · Views: 150
Reactions: albert1029
I think I was the first person there, because everything still looked exactly as it did in the pics. The ad popped up on my phone while was out to see about another free wood offer that didn't work out so well. That ad described a big dead ash tree which had fallen over in the recent high winds. What the ad didn't mention, because the homeowner didn't realize it, was that the big dead ash tree was wreathed in massive poison ivy vines. It was very sad.

looks like some birch in the back of that car too

Some rather large rounds of young cherry.
Must have had ideal growing conditions to be that size and still have its juvenile bark.

Must have had ideal growing conditions to be that size and still have its juvenile bark.

Unfortunately I just finished splitting it so it's rather inconvenient to count the rings. Western PA is absolutely ideal for cherry -- it's all over the place -- but not much of it looks like this.

Down the street from me there are four trees just past the edge of someone's yard, on undeveloped property I suspect belongs to the city. There's a mulberry that must've blown over a couple of years ago. 15 feet away there's a stack of three that all went over together during a late summer storm -- a big cherry tree fell over on a young Norway maple, and together they knocked over a Tree of Heaven. I suspect I could have as much as I'd want if I asked around a bit, but I'm back to having nowhere to put it...

Some rather large rounds of young cherry.

Good eye. It's not black cherry (Prunus serotina). It's bird cherry (Prunus avium).

We have a lot of both species here in western PA.

The picture may be a little deceiving, but the smaller rounds on the left look like ailanthus.

Nope, mulberry.

Thanks for the more precise ID of the cherry.

Status
Not open for further replies.