Pizza/Baking Stone

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

DevilsBrew

Minister of Fire
Apr 21, 2013
I am going to purchase my first baking stone. Any suggestions?

Go to your local ceramics supply shop and get a kiln shelf that fits your oven. Its made out of the same stuff pizza stones are made out of, its more durable than most of the culinary stones I've seen, and cheaper too.

Are they food safe?

That's a good question. I always assumed that they were. I have been using a kiln shelf to bake bread and pizzas for years with no obvious problems. If there were volatiles in the clay matrix of the shelf, I'd imagine they would mix with the glaze of functional pottery and leave potentially deleterious effects. The same reason why some glazes are not safe for functional pottery (contain lead, metals, etc). We do have a resident chemist and potter on here (adiospantalones). Perhaps he has some input.

They are absolutely food safe. Get a standard shelf, not a silicon carbide (black) shelf. The one you want will be light color, and may be called high alumina or mullite
Would that be made of cordierite? That's what our stone is made out of.

My wife got one at a house party that sold casserole dishes. It feels like stone ware material. It really works well. I'm only doing those store bought pizzas.

Status
Not open for further replies.