1. Welcome Hearth.com Guests and Visitors - Please enjoy our forums!
    Hearth.com GOLD Sponsors who help bring the site content to you:
    Hearthstone Soapstone and Cast-Iron stoves( Wood, Gas or Pellet Stoves and Inserts)
    Caluwe - Passion for Fire and Water ( Pellet and Wood Hydronic and Space Heating)

Pizza Oven trial run pictures

Post in 'The Inglenook' started by fishingpol, Jun 16, 2012.

1. Adios Pantalones

Adios Pantalones Minister of Fire

Loc:
    S.NH- Mass's smoking section
    During heating, the door(s) would be bricked or blocked (kaowool backed plates?). There's a chimney right above the entrance to the firebox- the exhaust gases go through corresponding slots (that's your "exit flue") on the opposite side of the chamber from where they entered and go up the chimney- there's no gas exchange through the doors. Throw in a pizza, dough, a roast, whatever- replace the door plate.

Heat can be added without opening the door at all. Maybe I'll add a port to spritz in some water. Plus- if I really want to, I could probably get it to 2300F for disposal of my enemies.

In that kiln pic above- the door would be bricked up when it was being fired. oven.png

Helpful Sponsor Ads!

2. Jags

Jags Moderate Moderator Staff Member

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Note to self: Do NOT get on AP's bad side.
    Eatonpcat and PapaDave like this.
  3. bfunk13

bfunk13 Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Wyoming
    As a pizza freak myself i hope you continue to post pictures of your pies.
    I would like to see your take on the Margherita if you ever make one. This style is perfect for your oven.
    Nothing but crust, sauce, "fresh" mozzarella and fresh basil. The simplicity of this pie is delicious.
    I have started using the fresh mozz and like it so much better than the shredded stuff. A little more pricey, but worth it.
    Also, i have a killer home made sauce recipe if interested.

Not sure if you ever checked out this site, its a great reference if serious about pizza.
    These people are pizza crazy.
    http://www.pizzamaking.com/forum/index.php
  4. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    Bfunk - if your interested in different types of pies you should try one with roasted red pepper puree for the sauce, fresh moz cut as thinly as reasonable. fresh asparagus in one inch pieces and a few shrooms (as much as I like shrooms, I do find that the plain white button shrooms work best for this), sliced and topped off with basil leaves. Knock out flavor.

The roasted red pepper just does "something" for it.
    bfunk13 likes this.
  5. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    I once made a pizza with my home made chili (cubed beef, not ground, please) instead of sauce. I'm not sure I could make a better pizza than that one.
  6. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    Roasted red peppers make anything friggin thing taste better...I love em.
    Sounds like you are quite the chef Jagsy... half smiley.jpg
  7. Jags

Loc:
    Northern IL
    I would be considered an official "Food Whore".
  8. GAMMA RAY

GAMMA RAY Minister of Fire

Loc:
    PA.
    That there is sexy stuff AP...
    See, hanging around you buggers has me calling in-animate objects sexy....<>
    I never did that before.;lol
  9. fishingpol

fishingpol Minister of Fire

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    So in essence, would you call this a rocket oven? If it is, that should pull a nice draft and fire hard. I've checked videos on rocket ovens, pretty cool not having to futz with the coals and ash in the cooking chamber.[/quote]
  10. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    Almost a rocket oven. There could be a few tweaks that would make it effectively operate like that.

I asked a few Q's at that pizza forum- they seem to think that under floor heating would be less than optimal as the dome should be hotter, so I might make it a little cross-draft kiln, not dis similar to my big kiln in many ways.
  11. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    I'll definitely put more up. That first one was basic, with grocery store dough. I will use a family dough recipe, reg mozz cheese and more fresh ingredients. I didn't want to use nice ingredients and have a catastrophy with the first run. I'm still thinking of Chicago style and a BBQ chicken for the next round. Maybe this weekend. You got the bug bad, I'm not quite there yet ;lol.
    bfunk13 likes this.
  12. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA

I dunno but, if you are firing directly across and under the oven floor, wouldn't that heat the floor enough? How many brick courses thick are you figuring between the firing chamber and oven chamber? Maybe a less insulative brick for the floor?
  13. Adios Pantalones

Loc:
    The worry was that the floor would get too hot- they said the dome should be hotter so that radiant heat browns it up from the top
  14. fishingpol

Loc:
    Merrimack Valley, MA
    Ok, sorry I missed that. Cross draft sounds like a good plan.