Place your bets!!

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

iskiatomic

Minister of Fire
Nov 15, 2008
Central CT
I have this stack that is severely heading south. The plan is to bring it in, in 3-4 weeks. Not so sure if it will stay upright that long. So, today being 9-26-12, the bets start now as to it's demise. The winner will recieve......ummm, ummm, ummm.....a super cedar!

Well when it comes down, at least I have Poor Doug to help it into the woodshed..........ummm, right Doug?

KC

Attachments

• 9-26 001.jpg
    9-26 001.jpg
    146.5 KB · Views: 218
  • 9-26 002.jpg
    9-26 002.jpg
    148.4 KB · Views: 244
  • 9-26 003.jpg
    9-26 003.jpg
    136.5 KB · Views: 242
  • 9-26 004.jpg
    9-26 004.jpg
    147.7 KB · Views: 245
  • 9-26 005.jpg
    9-26 005.jpg
    125.7 KB · Views: 281
  • 9-26 006.jpg
    9-26 006.jpg
    137.8 KB · Views: 220
  • 9-26 007.jpg
    9-26 007.jpg
    142.5 KB · Views: 213
  • 9-26 008.jpg
    9-26 008.jpg
    136.6 KB · Views: 232
  • 9-26 010.jpg
    9-26 010.jpg
    111.7 KB · Views: 215
  • 9-26 011.jpg
    9-26 011.jpg
    127 KB · Views: 225
Reactions: zap
I make the prediction that it will not fall over before you move it for winter use.

Reactions: ScotO
i think it might hold one of my stacks is like that it has held on all summer :cool:

I agree with Boom Stick. She'll hold up for a while yet. I've got a corner of the stack in the same predicament. Matter of fact, its the first corner to get transferred to the pallets against the house in a week or two.....its been 'hunching' over for a year or so. See the bottom left corner of the pic below.....

2012-09-02_12-48-41_629.jpg

Judging by average density of hardwood, common coefficient of friction (on surfaces created by an eight pound maul, Ax, hatchet and various wedges), the tilt of the Earth this month with relation to recent solar flares and the 6.2M earthquake in Cali...the stack will fall on Oct 4th @ 2:33am. But I can't be sure.

Judging by average density of hardwood, common coefficient of friction (on surfaces created by an eight pound maul, Ax, hatchet and various wedges), the tilt of the Earth this month with relation to recent solar flares and the 6.2M earthquake in Cali...the stack will fall on Oct 4th @ 2:33am. But I can't be sure.
You left out coreolis effect , average wind speed and direction calculations, the proximity of anything valuable to the wood stack .please get back to us with a theorem that accounts for these variables. :)

Yep, ready when you are.
Chances are, it'll hold until we're ready to move it.

In case I'm wrong, I'm predicting collapse on Oct. 3rd, just to be in the running for the Super Cedar.
Love those things.

Falls the day you start to move it . 3 weeks, Oct 16th.

Give me your address and I predict it will fall right after I get there. LOL

How do we know its not stacked on a hill, and its actually straight?

How are we supposed to tell with only ten pictures all taken at night? I think your scheme is rigged. I'm not placing a bet on this one. :mad:

It sounded good when Drunk?

Hah! Looks like the stacks could use a little V8 juice to straighten em up? I agree with BD, they might topple when you start the move. Good luck!

i predict the next windy day

I say go at select important splits with a hammer to beat them into submission and it will last indefinitely. No restacking required.

Without beating though I say October 3.

Reactions: schlot
I'm betting I'd be moving that Troy Bilt tiller before the fall.

Reactions: Nixon
Looks like a few of my stacks. I just can't seem to get those suckers right.
I'm guessing sometime tomorrow. Thunderstorm expected. I imagine there might be some wind involved, so that might just be the final blow it needs.

I'm betting I'd be moving that Troy Bilt tiller before the fall.

Tiller is not in the fall zone. Denny thank you for your concern. I have removed everything in the "drop zone".

KC

No crash on that stack.

Geez, I've been working at this equation all day to figure out what went wrong...and I finally got it. The very day after I crunched these numbers the GDP was revised to 1.3% from 1.7%! That completely throws off the entire calculation! Using 1.3% there is no way this stack is going to fall before being burned.

I'm blaming this one on the government and submitting a claim for the opportunity cost of one lost super cedar! So much for 'HOPE'

To OP ; What the Hell are you doing in my yard taking pictues of my stacks?;lol

It will fall the day before you plan on moving it. Some work with a sledge hammer might put off the impending doom.

Reactions: Woody Stover
Status
Not open for further replies.