Placement of a damper

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

rideau

Minister of Fire
Jan 12, 2012
southern ontario
Need to install an ICC damper in my ICC pipe. I have a slip section from a top vented PH, which connects to an angle section that goes into the ceiling box. My question is: Can I install the damper immediately on the stove collar (it is in the middle of a 6 inch ICC double wall pipe piece)? My other option is a the ceiling, essentially, where I will not be able to reach it.

Should be ok. Why is it needed?

Thanks.

Have discussed this with Woodstock often. They recommended the damper several years ago. Am now ready to bite the bullet and have ordered one.

I have a very tall stack, very cold climate, windy, high on a cliff overlooking the lake. Air completely closed, my firebox magnetic thermometer reads (as an instance)500, my stack is 820; magnetic thermometer 400, stack 600. I can't slow the draft down enough to restrict O2 enough to slow things down, keep heat in the stove instead of going up the stack. I just lose a lot of heat, burn more wood than I need to. I've been hesitant to get the damper because I didn't think I could put it at the collar, and anything else will be a pain. Also, as it is I really don't burn that much wood. But I could do better, I'm sure.

If Woodstock says that is an ok location, then go for it.

Status
Not open for further replies.