Placement of Reractory Brick in EKO Wood Fired Boilers From EKO-VIMAR ORLANSKI His Replies are in Bl

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Below is an email discussion I had with Kamil Wygoda a technical adviser for EKO-VIMAR ORLANSKI.

Hi Kamil,

I live in Washington State USA. I have an EKO 40 Super 1.

There has been some discussion among other EKO 40 Super 1 owners as to the placement of the Refractory Bricks.

My dealer told me to place the two Bricks centered left and right under the nozzle and centered front and back. Some owners think the Bricks should be placed against the back wall by the Heat Exchanger Tubes. Another group thinks the Bricks should be all the way forward against the Ash Door. Could you please settle this discussion as to where the Refractory Bricks should be place in the Secondary Chamber.

Thanks you,

Ken Hacka

Kamil Wygoda Reply

In 40 kw these 2 U- moulders (bricks) should be placed centrally under the hole in nozzle – it’s just to congregate the flame on bricks.

It doesn’t matter if is going to adhere to heat exchanger or to front door – that doesn’t have any influence on gasification process.

Greetings

Kamil Wygoda

doradca ds.technicznych

technical adviser

tel. +48 77 400 56 25

tel.kom. +48 505 193 262

e-mail: [email protected]

Sent: Monday, February 22, 2010 5:43 AM
To: Kamil Wygoda
Subject: RE: EKO Super 1 Refractory Brick

Hi again,

Thank you for your speedy reply.

I have one other question about the placement of the moulders (bricks). If the placement of the Bricks does not influence the gasification process, does it influence the hot gases going to the Heat Exchanger. If the Bricks are going to adhere the the wall by the Heat Exchanger, would the Bricks influence the hot gases going to the Heat Exchanger. Would it be better to have the Bricks adhere to the Front Door to allow the hot gases a direct path to the Heat Exchanger.

Thank you,

Ken

Kamil Wygoda Reply

Yes it does, but better would be centrally placed. One day a week You can place bricks adhere to front wall to have bigger hot gases temp. that will additionally clean heat exchanger from pitch and ashes.

Kamil Wygoda

doradca ds.technicznych

technical adviser

My real world tests show higher flue temps with the bricks pushed back towards the wall. The upside is less ash under the HX tubes. The downside is potentially limiting the usefullness of the center HX tubes. This is just my guess, however. I have no way of measuring individual tube temps...

Your higher flue temperatures may be a result of blocking the Hot Gases from going up the two center Heat Exchanger Tubes. If you block the two center Heat Exchanger Tubes, you are sending the Hot Gases up the two end tubes and you would have higher flue temperatures. I am willing to bet, if you center the bricks front and back, you will be getting more Hot Gases to go up the center Tubes making for a more even distribution of Gases to all four Tubes.

Status
Not open for further replies.