Places to cut wood

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Firewood Bandit

Minister of Fire
Jan 3, 2014
Western WIsconsin
Well I have done about 5 days of cleaning edges of fields for this landowner. His 200 acres is going to be logged this year and I now have permission/access to it. He has this dandy 70 hp 4 wd tractor with a logging winch. Today he was showing me how to use it. It's pretty slick.
2z7pszk.jpg

15dq9vq.jpg

5ntz53.jpg

207owtw.jpg

That'll get her done! Makes my machine look like something you'd get free in a box of Frosted Flakes.

Outstanding! A good Farmi winch like that is on my wish list.

Does that also mean you'll have access to the treetops left by the loggers?

I have gotten pretty spoiled,

My first priority is the cut offs on the landing and since I bribe the boys logging with my Honeycrisp apples out of the orchard, they load my trailer with the forwarder.

9av79w.jpg

o0t9y0.jpg

The next order is to work on the cull logs left on the landings. This requires a whole lot more work and I have to pick up the pieces or roll them into my trailer.:(

vmu4pc.jpg

2j1tz4y.jpg

The tractor and winch is for a couple years from now when the real easy stuff is done.;em

Reactions: Osagebndr
Wow, just wow does that look like its gonna be a bonanza of wood. Do you think you will be able to keep up, or is that not really an issue?

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
The next order is to work on the cull logs left on the landings. This requires a whole lot more work and I have to pick up the pieces or roll them into my trailer.:(
Oooof! <> Have you got a peavey?

Man those rounds will kill you. Be careful.

Reactions: Firewood Bandit
Wow, just wow does that look like its gonna be a bonanza of wood. Do you think you will be able to keep up, or is that not really an issue?

There is two years of cutting on the spot .5 miles from my house.

The place I mentioned above and the landowner with the tractor should pan out for quite a few years. As I said this place and the adjacent one where I already have permission is going to be logged this year. There is a third 40 acre parcel next to these that is also going to be logged, I haven't talked to that landowner yet.

This morning I talked to the landowner and he said I can use the tractor any time I want, I told him I need a little more hands on training on that along with techniques on the winch. Back in my College days, I spent hundreds of hours on tractors but this is a little different.

To answer the question. The only way one could keep up with a project of this scale would be with a real log skidder, loaders and semis. Unless one has been around logging operations, the amount of wood left that goes to waste is unreal.

Man those rounds will kill you. Be careful.

Surprisingly enough, that is the size I generally work with. Lots and lots of wood with very little bark.

When we were using the winch, I cut everything off the tops that is smaller than about 8".

Reactions: Paulywalnut
Surprisingly enough, that is the size I generally work with. Lots and lots of wood with very little bark.

When we were using the winch, I cut everything off the tops that is smaller than about 8".
I like the no bark. That's great you can handle them. I would be using a peavy and a hand truck:)

Status
Not open for further replies.