placing a wood stove in front of an electrical receptacle

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Charles2

Feeling the Heat
Jun 22, 2014
GA
What are the pros and cons of doing this? It seems like it might be convenient for plugging in a blower, but what else should I be aware of? And by the way, isn't the insulation on a blower cord considered a combustible material?

Depends on the stove and its clearances. I have once in the back side of mine and it doesnt even get warm.

follow the clearances required by the stove and you will be ok

I have one close to my stove as well and it doesn't get much past warm. My stove has low clearances to combustibles and was professionally installed. You've probably mentioned your stove in another thread but putting it in your sig helps. Cheers!

I have a corner install with my 13nc. This helps with the clearance in the back. 8.5 inches is the clearance I believe and my receptacle is close to 13 I think. It's cool to the touch and I've had no issues

My problem is with the clearance to wall on the corners. I was fine with the 17vl but since I upgraded to the larger 13nc I'm too close now by 1.5 inches. Setting at 7 from the corners. I'm about to install 2 45's in line and that should give me the clearance I need

I don't think 1 1/2" is going to pose a real risk to you or your family, personally.

If really concerned, stand a barrier between the stove and the outlet. A piece of sheet metal on a stand. Done right it will look like a decoration.

If the outlet isn't in use at all, you can get a blank metal outlet cover.

Reactions: Cross Cut Saw
No you guys are wrong those clearances are set where they are set for a reason and 1.5" is pretty far under when you think about the percentages

Reactions: Grisu
No you guys are wrong those clearances are set where they are set for a reason and 1.5" is pretty far under when you think about the percentages

Amen! There is a reason they are called minimum clearances.

Reactions: Seanm
to me its a wash between more creosote build up and less stove performance with two 45s versus being 1.5 to close. I'd bet theres plenty of safety margin built into those minimum clearances.

If you're worried I'd just take out the receptacle and put on a metal cover like Hoverwheel said. Two 45's will also be more expensive and slow your draft.

It is not a wash at all to close is to close none of us have any idea what the safty margin is. But he said the distance should be 7" and it is 1.5" to close that is over 20% that is a huge difference. To me even 1/4" to close is out of the question. Minimum clearance is just that i try to go over minimum when ever possible

to me its a wash between more creosote build up and less stove performance with two 45s versus being 1.5 to close. I'd bet theres plenty of safety margin built into those minimum clearances.
I think the clearances are set up for a worst-case scenario. However slim the chance of that is, you need to be safe concerning your family, homeowner's insurance, etc. If performance becomes an issue, I would add a little chimney instead of rolling the dice with clearances.

To avoid creosote you burn dry wood and sweep your chimney regularly. Are you also replacing the drywall and the studs behind it every year?

And I can see that there are probably safety margins built in but they are there for a reason such as when you battle an overfire in your stove you don't have the wall ignite next to you.

I'd still like to know whether the insulation on a blower cord is considered a combustible material. What are they made of?

if it is made by the stove manufacturer it will be fine the stove is tested with it on

Status
Not open for further replies.