Plan C?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

thewoodlands

Minister of Fire
Aug 25, 2009
In The Woods
Looks like the woodlands might be off limits for another week and so will cutting the cherry up front, plan C might include dropping the barkless & dead Sugar Maple just off the path going to the wood stacks.

...WINTER STORM WARNING REMAINS IN EFFECT FROM 4 AM TO 11 PM EST FRIDAY...

THE NATIONAL WEATHER SERVICE IN BURLINGTON CONTINUES THE WINTER STORM WARNING...FROM 4 AM TO 11 PM EST FRIDAY.

* LOCATIONS...ALL OF SOUTH-CENTRAL...CENTRAL AND NORTHERN VERMONT. THE NORTHERN ADIRONDACKS AND CHAMPLAIN VALLEY OF NEW YORK.

* HAZARD TYPES...HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW. SNOW MAY MIX WITH SLEET ACROSS SOUTH-CENTRAL VERMONT.

* ACCUMULATIONS...6 TO 12 INCHES OF SNOW...FALLING AT A RATE OF 1-2 INCHES PER HOUR.

* TIMING...SNOW WILL BEGIN BY THE PRE-DAWN HOURS FRIDAY...THEN FALL HEAVY AT TIMES THROUGHOUT THE DAY. SNOW WILL TAPER OFF FRIDAY EVENING. STRONG NORTH WINDS WILL BRING BLOWING AND DRIFTING SNOW FRIDAY AFTERNOON THROUGH MIDNIGHT FRIDAY NIGHT.

* IMPACTS...DIFFICULT TRAVEL DUE TO SNOW COVERED ROADWAYS AND VERY LOW VISIBILITY IN SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

* WINDS...NORTH INCREASING TO 20 TO 30 MPH WITH GUSTS UP TO 40 MPH FRIDAY AFTERNOON AND EVENING.

* TEMPERATURES...IN THE UPPER 20S TO LOWER 30S.

* VISIBILITIES...NEAR ZERO AT TIMES IN HEAVY SNOW AND BLOWING SNOW.

PRECAUTIONARY/PREPAREDNESS ACTIONS...

A WINTER STORM WARNING FOR HEAVY SNOW MEANS SEVERE WINTER WEATHER CONDITIONS ARE EXPECTED OR OCCURRING. SIGNIFICANT AMOUNTS OF SNOW ARE FORECAST THAT WILL MAKE TRAVEL DANGEROUS. IF YOU MUST TRAVEL...KEEP AN EXTRA FLASHLIGHT...FOOD...AND WATER IN YOUR VEHICLE IN CASE OF AN EMERGENCY.

PLEASE STAY TUNED TO NOAA WEATHER RADIO...YOUR LOCAL MEDIA...OR GO TO WWW.WEATHER.GOV/BURLINGTON FOR FURTHER UPDATES ON THIS WEATHER SITUATION.

Zap

Attachments

• 400x266_02241736_stormarrivaltimes.jpg
    400x266_02241736_stormarrivaltimes.jpg
    29.4 KB · Views: 432
That stuff is here right now in the form of very heavy rain. Coming down in buckets would be a good description. Unless it dumps all its moisture on the way up north, somebody up there is going to get a whole lot of snow in the near future.

Enjoy. ;-P

WhitePine said:
That stuff is here right now in the form of very heavy rain. Coming down in buckets would be a good description. Unless it dumps all its moisture on the way up north, somebody up there is going to get a whole lot of snow in the near future.

Enjoy. ;-P

I'll be hooking up the plow this afternoon on the truck then make sure the saws are set. We have plenty of White Pines around the house and with the heavy snow then the wind we should have some branches down.

Zap

Thanks Zap....Hope you get the side by side stuck! j/k

smokinjay said:

Plows on with a full tank of gas with a hard pack trail, with enough snow it's possible. :vampire:

Zap

zapny said:
smokinjay said:

Plows on with a full tank of gas with a hard pack trail, with enough snow it's possible. :vampire:

Zap

With a snow plow on that thing and a winch I would say your golden!

We're looking at 4" to 6" several hours south of you. I was just starting to enjoy getting in the woods again without snow shoes too.

BRING IT!

havent had any real snow here in a while, been lookign at 1.5 feet of brown ice for the past few weeks. not good on the hyfax of the sleds either. one more good week of snowmobiling then im off to the left coast for work for two weeks and I want to return to spring with temps in the upper 60s!

Message in my in box 6 inchs of snow on the way...7-9 Friday I am being not to like you! lol

Smokin, don't hold out for a response from Zap. While you and I are drinking beer, that Zapmachine is still out cutting wood. Could be weeks before anybody hears from him. :)

Beetle-Kill said:
Smokin, don't hold out for a response from Zap. While you and I are drinking beer, that Zapmachine is still out cutting wood. Could be weeks before anybody hears from him. :)

lol, Somebody got to let him know its ok to do maintance in a heated shop! Oldtimer once told me chain's are best left for warm shop cold beer. Thats advice that hit home.lol

ColdNH said:
BRING IT!

havent had any real snow here in a while, been lookign at 1.5 feet of brown ice for the past few weeks. not good on the hyfax of the sleds either. one more good week of snowmobiling then im off to the left coast for work for two weeks and I want to return to spring with temps in the upper 60s!

Hehheh . . . I see we share similar views when it comes to winter and snow . . . I'm not quite ready for it to end either . . . I want to get a few more rides in . . . still trying to convince a buddy of mine to trailer the sleds to Acadia . . . not a lot of trails, but the views should be spectacular.

smokinjay said:
Message in my in box 6 inchs of snow on the way...7-9 Friday I am being not to like you! lol

It should be a interesting day with this storm coming in, another storm for next week also.

Zap

smokinjay said:

Smokin how did your Topic Title get over my first post? Computers!

Zap

Zap, I hope you don't get any more than we did. Our total snow yesterday and last night was....zero! No plowing today.

Backwoods Savage said:
I hope you don't get any more than we did.

Too late for that, we already have 3" in the driveway and it is supposed to snow until this evening.

Backwoods Savage said:
Zap, I hope you don't get any more than we did. Our total snow yesterday and last night was....zero! No plowing today.

8-12 inches of wet heavy snow coming our way last I heard then rain on Monday which should make it nice. Just might bring down some of those hung up sugar maple up top.

Zap

SolarAndWood said:
Backwoods Savage said:
I hope you don't get any more than we did.

Too late for that, we already have 3" in the driveway and it is supposed to snow until this evening.

Looks like the drive home from work in Syracuse might get tricky.

Zap

Looks like the drive home from work in Syracuse might get tricky.

Shouldn't be too bad, the storm tracked south. Looks like you will be clear long before you get to Watertown. That is a little different than usual.

Had the driveway plowed on Saturday, storm hit on Sunday, snowed in Monday and Tuesday, access road was cleared enough on Monday and Tuesday to get the plow in again T evening. Here we go again. . .

What the advisory below doesn't mention is that when the storm is over, the temps are supposed to drop again--several days of -15, -20. This is going to put things pretty tight with my wood supply, and that's all I've got to heat the house with. I still have another 100 gallons of fuel oil in the tank, but my boiler is dead in the water and it may be a bit before it gets replaced. So it's come down to the stove, and a rapidly diminishing pile of firewood. I *think* I've got this.

I've got some standing dead poplar, about 10"-12" that I could drop. Three of them wouldn't be too hard to get to, but I haven't really wanted to get into running a chain saw right now, because there's no place to jump when the snow is up to your bum. They're little trees, and not too heavy, and I shouldn't be such a wimp about this--but I am.

What follows below was as of last night. Saw this forecast, and went out and hauled the last of one of my in-the-woods stack up the hill at 11:30. Let a black dog out at midnight, and a white one came in ten minutes later. Right on the predicted schedule, the storm hit. If I had another cord, I'd say let it roll. As it stands, it's going to be more interesting. But as someone here said, `if life was easy, what would we call it?'

... Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am akst
Saturday...

A Winter Storm Warning remains in effect until 6 am akst
Saturday.

Snow... heavy at times... will begin late tonight and continue
through late Friday night. Storm total snow amounts of 6 to
10 inches are expected. Locally heavier amounts may occur on west
facing slopes.

At lower elevations... southwest winds 15 to 25 mph will develop
late tonight... increasing to 25 to 35 mph with gusts to 45 mph
Friday. Winds will diminish Friday tonight... to 10 to 15 mph by
morning. The strong winds will cause extensive blowing and
drifting snow... reducing visibility to as low as a half mile at
times.

Above tree line... southwest winds 25 to 35 mph will develop late
tonight... increasing to 35 to 50 mph Friday. Visibility will be
reduced to near zero in snow and blowing snow. There will be
significant drifting snow. Driving conditions will be hazardous
and roads will likely become impassable.

Precautionary/preparedness actions...

A Winter Storm Warning means significant winter weather hazards
are expected. This will make travel and outdoor activity very
hazardous.

ewwww... Where are you at ?

Here in NE PA we are only getting rain then the wind.....

Good Luck,

Shawn

fairbanks

We've got oodles and acres of the white stuff. Will trade snow for firewood.

shawneyboy said:

Good Luck,

Shawn

So far we have about a total of 6 inches of snow and it has stopped, never really got that bad today.

Zap

zapny said:
shawneyboy said:

Good Luck,

Shawn

So far we have about a total of 6 inches of snow and it has stopped, never really got that bad today.

Zap

ya they were calling for a foot here yesterday for today and we ended up with just over an inch :)

you going for that cherry this weekend zap? :cheese:

loon

First on the list is some plowing then pushing in some wood, after that we have a dead standing barkless sugar maple that will come down then I'll go and look at the cherry up front and see what type of mess is there. So maybe on late Saturday or Sunday for the cherry, just have plenty of clean up before cutting.

I'll throw some pictures up Saturday of the sugar maple plus the mess down by the cherry. I also will plow out the entrance from the road so I can take a run back in the woods on Sunday.

Loon have you been splitting or doing any cutting?

Zap

Status
Not open for further replies.