Plane Chainsaw Bar

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

04HemiRam2500

Feeling the Heat
Jul 10, 2013
SW PA
My chainsaw bar is pulling to the right even when I flip it or put on a new chain. I have read that I need to plane my bar. What is the best method to do this using a flat file or holding the bar up to my bench grinder. If so how do you plane it sand how often will I need to do this?

I use a file or a belt sander. They also make a tool just for bars. Most dealers should have them.

When you use a flat file do you go with the bar or against it?

I go at an angle +- 45°. Then I lightly hit the side of the rails to remove the burr. I also go from tip to tail to keep shavings out of the tip.

For good results you need to make sure the bar is square, Baileys makes a file holder for this
http://www.baileysonline.com/Chains...Sharpeners/Pferd-Universal-Edge-Sharpener.axd
You could probably make one from a piece of angle.
I did my bar on a drill press with a grinding stone ( use a brand new stone). bargrind_1.jpg

Good Idea thanks WES999!

Status
Not open for further replies.