planning a wood shed

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

smabon

Jan 29, 2009
Lunenburg, Ma
So this is my first year burning and I am starting to think about building a wood shed. This year I had my wood under a trap next to tool shed and I am sick of climbing under the trap. So I am planning on building the wood shed early this spring so that I can start loading it as soon as possible. Any ways, I am looking for some suggestions on how to plan it. Pretty much right now, do to funds, I am going to build one as simple as possible. So I am thinking of building a roof on top of 4x4 posts. Probably going to be 7' wide x 7' tall. haven't decided on how long yet. If my math is right, two rows of 16" wood 7' x 6' will be a cord of wood. I have to figure out how much wood I used this winter then I will figure out how deep to make it.

My questions are;
Should I put sides on it or leave it totally open? Should I put sides on it and leave the front and back of it open Would putting lattice on the side and back be good so that it would have some protection from rain but allow air to flow? Should I build half walls, either from the top half way down the side and leave the bottom open or lattice the bottom or lattice on top and solid on the bottom? Would making is so that I can close up the sides during long rain periods or during the winter to keep the snow out be a good idea?

The floor I am all set with. I am planning on useing pallets free from work.

The Roof: should I use shingles or metal roof.

Would putting metal sides and roof on it help dry the wood any quicker do to the fact that during the summer the sun beating down on the metal will make it a lot warmer inside. A morton building at a farm I use to work at would get very hot inside if it was closed up during the summer.

Lastly, is there a direction that I should have the opening of it face

Thanks for your time.

Instead of using 4x4 posts, consider building three sides with vertical studs and put some sort lattice or diagonal bracing on it to prevent racking. With having the studs, you won't have to cross-pile the row ends.

You want it as open as possible to allow air flow. Let the sun hit the wood and forget about a solar bake oven.

LLigetfa said:
Instead of using 4x4 posts, consider building three sides with vertical studs and put some sort lattice or diagonal bracing on it to prevent racking. With having the studs, you won't have to cross-pile the row ends.

You want it as open as possible to allow air flow. Let the sun hit the wood and forget about a solar bake oven.

Racking?

I'm gonna stick 4x4's in the ground, then wrap with rough cut board spaced apart enough for air flow, topped with simple lean-to roof.

I'm gonna face mine south so as to catch the winter sun for sure.

I'm gonna have enough wall strength to handle stackin' the wood right up against it.

Spikem said:
Google the three words:
racking strength walls

Status
Not open for further replies.