Planning an Eko 40 installation

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.
FWIW I'm really enjoying this discussion. Learning a lot. Keep it going.

henfruit,

Maybe I can actually contribute (instead of take) here. The Greek letter lambda as we're discussing it represents a ratio of air to fuel mixture. I'll give you a synopsis as to the automotive world as that's my background, I think you can gain some insight how it may apply to any manageable combustion process.

Lambda is actually a ratio of air to fuel that is considered perfect. 14.7 to 1.0 (stoichiometeric), for gasoline engines.

The development of the oxygen sensor use in engine emmission control, or as Volvo used the Robert Bosch probe, Lambda sensor, in their Volvo Lambda Sond system, reported a real-time oxygen level in combustion exhaust gasses that was responsive enough to feedback into a control unit allowing minute adjustments to maximize performance while keeping in a very narrow exhaust gas mix. Keeping the exhaust gas mix controlled was vital to the chemistry of a new 3-way catalytic converter that managed NOx (nitrious oxides, a pollutant). Prior to the 3-way catalytic converter, we needed an auxiliary air pump (or smog pump) to add air to the 2-way catalytic converter to effect tailpipe emission requirements. If you owned an early 1980’s automobile, you likely suffered the low performance it offered because of the limitations of controlling NOx. There was a maze of pump(s), belts, tubes and hoses to support the add-air function. When the Lambda sensor was added to the emissions system, all the add-air junk went away. Compression ratios increased, bringing performance and efficiency. The overall process of engine management has added decades to the internal combustion engine’s viability in providing suitable power and economy. The introduction of the lambda probe was very significant and has been remarkably successful.

Stee,Tell me why the vigas is not in the same class as frohling?(not as pretty) Randy if you look at the cut away of the vigas the primary and secondary air are run by one servo motor with two shutter fan blades. Huff, That long with a full load of wood from torch to start up gasification under a minute.The controler on the Vigas is way advanced than all the boilers out there except the frohling and the effecta.There is an other thing all you eko users should be aware of they are not ul tested.So if you have a fire and your insurance finds out i doubt that you will be covered for your loss.
I know this is an older thread, but I was on the New Horizon site browsing, and on the EKO page there is a printable UL sheet for the boilers.

Status
Not open for further replies.