Planning for Next Year - End of year Prices - Are these good?

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Pugsly

Feb 21, 2007
Hi All! Happy woodburning so far this winter I hope.

Planning on the following installation for a house to be built by next winter . . .

Wood stove, in the middle of a room, vented (6") out back with black pipe to T.

T up with black pipe to support box in ceiling of 1st floor.

3 walled DuraPlus pipe from floor of second floor (in support box) up through 2nd floor in chase, through ceiling of 2nd floor, through attic, take a jog in attic (2 30 degree elbows or less), through roof and out 3' or so, and above peak - with all proper insulation shields and elbow supports and flashing in attic and on roof.

A local store has DuraPlus 3 wall 6" pipe for about 65 bucks for a 3 foot section. This is the stuff with a 6" inner space enclosed in a layer of metal, then a layer of ceramic insulation, then another layer of metal, then a 1" pocket of air, then an outside layer (either stainless or galvanized). I didn't notice if it was stainless or galvanized on the outside, but I think it was stainless.

Is this a good price?

Any issues with the set up anyone see?

The only issue I can see is that the joists above the first floor. Is there a clearance issue if the joists are 16" on center and I mount the vent to be centered exactly between the joists?

Thanks!

Pugsly said:
Hi All! Happy woodburning so far this winter I hope.

Planning on the following installation for a house to be built by next winter . . .

Wood stove, in the middle of a room, vented (6") out back with black pipe to T.

T up with black pipe to support box in ceiling of 1st floor.

3 walled DuraPlus pipe from floor of second floor (in support box) up through 2nd floor in chase, through ceiling of 2nd floor, through attic, take a jog in attic (2 30 degree elbows or less), through roof and out 3' or so, and above peak - with all proper insulation shields and elbow supports and flashing in attic and on roof.

A local store has DuraPlus 3 wall 6" pipe for about 65 bucks for a 3 foot section. This is the stuff with a 6" inner space enclosed in a layer of metal, then a layer of ceramic insulation, then another layer of metal, then a 1" pocket of air, then an outside layer (either stainless or galvanized). I didn't notice if it was stainless or galvanized on the outside, but I think it was stainless.

Is this a good price?

Any issues with the set up anyone see?

The only issue I can see is that the joists above the first floor. Is there a clearance issue if the joists are 16" on center and I mount the vent to be centered exactly between the joists?

Thanks!

Thats dirt cheap, snag it up!
Why the jogs though?, can't ya work it to go straight up off the T?
I believe you'll have to have a heat shield where it goes through the joists. SOmeone with a similar setup will prolly chime in.

I agree, if you are building new, try to avoid those 2 - 30 deg elbows. A straight stack is the best. I think you'll be needing a firestop for that chase too.

Thanks for the help!

I just bought nine 36" sections of Duraplus three wall, stainless steel outside, and a roof kit with spark arrestor/cap/insulation shield/support box/couple rings, for 793.

I'll be looking for a stove this summer. Some black pipe, perhaps a few elbows, and I should be good to go.

Status
Not open for further replies.