Planning my first ever trip to HarborFreight and I am looking for suggestions

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

lowroadacres

Minister of Fire
Aug 18, 2009
MB
Next weekend our son's hockey team is playing in a tournament in Fargo.

While I have been to lots of tool stores in Canada I have never been to Harbor Freight. The only item I am seriously considering right now is the entry level moisture meter for just over ten dollars. There will not be a lot of money being spent so I am looking for suggestions and ideas of "must have" stuff from HF.

Fire away.

I would suggest using the first trip as a reconnaissance trip, and to get your meter. Their pricing floats up and down a lot on most items, depending on what specials and coupons are available. You will probably want to get signed up on their e-mail list to get coupons (almost daily.) This will let you know when their in-store pricing is just too high for what the thing is.

You can usually find a 20% off of a single item on their website or in various magazine ads as well. Some of the stuff is total junk, some not so bad. If you are spending much on an item, it is good to look the floor model over carefully to see if the design will do what you want. I have passed on their bench top 12 speed drill press that usually get's discounted down to $49.99 with a coupon, because you can grab the chuck and rattle it in the bearing on most of them. The higher dollar floor standing units have a little less slop in them, so might be ok.

Some of their hand tools and air tools are a deal. Their impact sockets are exceedingly cheap, but I have not been able to bust one, yet, at least. I actually like a few of their ratchet designs, even though my tool box full of Snap-on tools are offended when I add an HF tool in.

Your mileage will vary, as they say. For stuff you use infrequently, not to make a living with, the HF stuff can get the job done. Most of it is not great quality, but some of it is "good enough."

My son just bought their "hardwood" oak workbench for $129.00 to use with his re-loading press. It really is pretty decent for the price. I'm tempted to get one sometime.

I picked up their Laser guided IR thermometer for under $20 a while back. Seems to work reasonably well.

Enjoy the show!

lowroadacres said:
Next weekend our son's hockey team is playing in a tournament in Fargo.

While I have been to lots of tool stores in Canada I have never been to Harbor Freight. The only item I am seriously considering right now is the entry level moisture meter for just over ten dollars. There will not be a lot of money being spent so I am looking for suggestions and ideas of "must have" stuff from HF.

Fire away.
I don't know what you might be looking for but definitely check the deals out at this link:

http://slickdeals.net/forums/showthread.php?sduid=0&t=1276399

There are several different pages of sales, coupons, etc.,...definitely worth looking through.

Enjoy your trip to HF...lot's of stuff there!!!

Ed

the store near me has a nice selection of ratchet straps and tie downs, alot of tarps

At the HF near me, you can either go when they're having one of their coupon sales events or just afterward. If you go after, virtually nothing will be discounted and you will overpay. If you go during one of the sales, you'll find lots of bargains.

As others have noted, the higher the complexity of an item, the riskier your purchase is. I try to stay with relatively simple mechanical, electrical, and electronic items. Some of the purchases I've been particularly happy with:

- paintbrushes, both natural and synthetic (cheap enough to use once or twice and discard);

- 8-gallon, 2.5 HP air compressor;

- 500-pound hydraulic lift wheeled cart;

- the moisture meter (which is just an ohm meter) and the IR thermometer;

- the palm sander;

- the 18-volt electric drill;

- sheets of sandpaper (which I cut to fit the palm sander and then glue over the used velcro-backed sandpaper which somes with the sander...much cheaper);

- inexpensive micrometers;

- variety kits with 100 or more security bits;

- electric angle grinder;

- etc, etc.

Note that every one of these items was purchased at a signifcant discount during a sale. Paying full price would not have made me feel I was getting nearly as good a deal. When on sale, many of these items can be purchased two or three times for the price of one American-branded (but still made in China) competitive model.

As with amatory endeavors, good timing is crucial (but not nearly as satisfying)...

Beowulf said:
I would suggest using the first trip as a reconnaissance trip, and to get your meter. Their pricing floats up and down a lot on most items, depending on what specials and coupons are available. You will probably want to get signed up on their e-mail list to get coupons (almost daily.) This will let you know when their in-store pricing is just too high for what the thing is.

You can usually find a 20% off of a single item on their website or in various magazine ads as well. Some of the stuff is total junk, some not so bad. If you are spending much on an item, it is good to look the floor model over carefully to see if the design will do what you want. I have passed on their bench top 12 speed drill press that usually get's discounted down to $49.99 with a coupon, because you can grab the chuck and rattle it in the bearing on most of them. The higher dollar floor standing units have a little less slop in them, so might be ok.

Some of their hand tools and air tools are a deal. Their impact sockets are exceedingly cheap, but I have not been able to bust one, yet, at least. I actually like a few of their ratchet designs, even though my tool box full of Snap-on tools are offended when I add an HF tool in.

Your mileage will vary, as they say. For stuff you use infrequently, not to make a living with, the HF stuff can get the job done. Most of it is not great quality, but some of it is "good enough."

My son just bought their "hardwood" oak workbench for $129.00 to use with his re-loading press. It really is pretty decent for the price. I'm tempted to get one sometime.

I picked up their Laser guided IR thermometer for under $20 a while back. Seems to work reasonably well.

Enjoy the show!

This is VERY good advice. IMO about 90% of their stuff is total crap and not for the guy who makes a living with it.
On a side note, I buy most of my specialty tools from Northern and have not been disappointed.

Love HF. Definitely use coupons, check out their ads. Their hand tools are good, have a lifetime warranty. Bungee cords, zip ties, tarps, rope, come-alongs. Air tools are cheap, but, um, cheap--I still haven't broken one yet, but wouldn't want them if it was my profession. I got an aluminum racing jack that's fantastic ($50-60 IIRC). Buy what you like, you'll find a use for it...

First trip to Harbor Freight and only leave with one item. Ain't gonna happen! :coolgrin:

Get a couple bags of welding gloves. I think a 3 pack goes for $9. I go through a pair every three months.

It is hard to beat some of their sale items like hand tools, gloves, etc. I have been pleased with the pliers etc. where you get like 8 different ones for $8. How they can do it I do not know. Other than a cheap air cutter I have been pleased with most everything. Hatchet for $3, etc.

Impact sockets are wonderful. I have the deep 6 point ones and they'll take everything my 125psi can give them.

One thing to watch out for is any sort of blades or drill bits. Even though they are advertised as carbide, diamond, tungsten or high speed steel, I generally find that they wear out a lot quicker than name brands. Sure they usually last for a one time project, but generally you might as well throw them away afterwards.

But when you check the price of the good ones, they can still be good value for money. Just depends...you need to compare. Sometimes I buy at HF with the knowledge that it'll probably be a one-time usage, but figure I'm still coming out ahead.

Status
Not open for further replies.