Planning my wood mix

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

joefrompa

Minister of Fire
Sep 7, 2010
SE PA
Hey all,

I've got about 3-4 cords of pine, almost all seasoned. On top of that, I've got maybe .5-.75 cord of mixed hardwoods - ash and elm mostly.

Now my neighbor is offering to sell me some fully seasoned hardwood - $140/cord of seasoned red oak, $150/cord of seasoned cherry. I know for a fact both are 2 year seasoned.

I have no real experience burning either, so I'm wondering if I should mix it up? I.e. 1/2 and 1/2?

I've heard wonderful things about aromatic cherry - but oak has a good amount more BTUs.

Any recommendations? I'm probably only going to buy 1 cord right now. :)

Joe

If you can, buy both !!! You will want the Oak in January when Old Man Winter comes a calling. Those are good prices for seasoned wood ! If you can only buy one I would go with the Oak.

Shawn

If you don't buy it I will. Let me know Joe. If I was you, I wood jump on it. That's a great price. I just paid $175 a cord for oak, seasoned and delivered.

There's way more heat in a cord of oak than a cord of cherry. I'm not sure why the oak would be priced less. Cherry smells good in a fireplace, but in a wood stove you're not going to know the difference.

If you need more hardwood, get the oak. If you still need more, get the cherry.

Mike,

I'm considering buying it all off of him over the winter (he's got maybe 10 cords) as my piles are worked away....but if you need any, let me know. He'ls a good guy but you'd need to pick it up.

Thanks guys! Oak it is!

I'm not sure why he's priced the oak lower, but he's also offering me 'neighborly' prices.

joefrompa said:
I'm not sure why he's priced the oak lower, but he's also offering me 'neighborly' prices.

I'd buy everything I could at those prices, and give him a neighbourly drink or two as well.

Yeah, I'm out of space right now with about 5 cords of pine stacked on the yard. But, I'll go through that at a good clip, so my plan is to burn a cord - replace a cord - rinse and repeat.

joefrompa said:
Mike,

I'm considering buying it all off of him over the winter (he's got maybe 10 cords) as my piles are worked away....but if you need any, let me know. He'ls a good guy but you'd need to pick it up.

Thanks guys! Oak it is!

Good for you Joe. And right on with the oak. You'll love it.

Status
Not open for further replies.