Planning the install of the NC-13......and..

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

Beetle-Kill

Minister of Fire
Sep 8, 2009
Colorado- near the Divide
OK, the intended location is less than ideal but will have to work. As follows-
  • Corner install, 5' per side to shield
  • Concrete floor
  • Ceiling height is only 75-1/2"
  • Horizontal flue to a Tee, then up 16'
  • 1" of hearth build-up above concrete floor
I'm going to overkill the heat shields on this, using 18-20g. steel sheets spaced 1" apart and 1" min. from the walls. Same for the ceiling coverage, so at least 2" of air gap to help mitigate any heat transfer issues to interior siding. Since I plan on running 2 heat shields with the 1" air gap between them, what sort of gap should I consider for the flue pipe?
The penetration for the double shields and wall will be horizontal, should I make the openings as large as the thimble? or go tighter?
Also, any thought on single vs. dbl. wall pipe for this install?
Thanks, JB

Flue pipe needs a rise, straight horizontal is bad, at very least 5 deg rise. Double wall inside

Blades, flue pipe will be vertical off the stove, then 2- 45's going horizontal to the exterior Tee, a standard installation scenario. I'm wondering about the penetration clearance of the flue pipe to the heat shields. I'm sure I'll run double wall on the inside and SS Class A on the exterior.
I sheared the plate yesterday and made half the spacers, getting close to cutting the clearance holes, just looking for recommendations. Thanks, JB

There is virtually no advantage to double wall shields. Single layer wall shields will suffice as long as they are ventilated top and bottom. It sounds like you are also planning on putting in a ceiling heat shield. If so, be sure to get the approval of the inspecting authority first so that you can get the sizing right. If none, then make it the size of the hearth requirements for this stove. It too should be 1 layer with a ventilated 1" airspace behind it.

So no real benefit to a double vs. single shield? They would both be ventilated on bottom, sides, and top, full size of the hearth and then some. I planned on staggering the sides and top, smaller plates on the inner most shield for aesthetics. If there isn't any benefit I'll re-think this and use the plate for something else.

No real benefit. I have measured 175F on one side of a shield and 85F on the other side in a 75F ambient room. A second shield might drop the temp another 5 -10 degrees but it's really not necessary.

Thanks, saved me some grief on install. What about the flue clearance to the shield penetration?

Make the opening to the thimble.

Reactions: Beetle-Kill
BG, thanks. Penetration will be thimble diam., and I'll add a rolled ring around it, just to piss off the spiders. Thanks again, JB

Status
Not open for further replies.