Planning to buy a wood boiler

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

TWood

Oct 26, 2015
Michigan
I am having a hard time finding anyone that ownes a glennwood boiler. If there is someone with knowledge of these boilers can you let me know. I would like to know what kind of quility and if they are efficient. I will take suggestions on other brands too. I will be installing the boiler inside the house or in a garage. The sq.ft is 2500 +_hottub and dw. Also interested in gasifiers. Thanks

Their warranty is a bit peculiar in that it only covers rust-through and failed welds and specifically excludes the heat exchanger. Odd.

I haven't seen a lot of Glenwood threads over the years here but a quick search might turn up a user or two. The Glenwood also seems to be rather expensive compared to their "bound for future failure" gasifier cousins for what I assume is going to be a less efficient setup.

In my opinion any company that spends 1/3 of their "intro paragraph" talking about why the competition is doing it wrong, is probably doing it wrong. My two cents only, of course.

Read on, friend. You'll find copious amounts of info on this site regarding available gassifiers. Anyone suggesting a brand/model without better understanding what you're trying to accomplish (and your budget) is probably going to misguide you.

If money and space were plentiful, my money would be spent on a Garn. If you're trying to shoehorn your system into a utility room in your basement (like many of us have) I'd go with a system similar to mine - a low tech, no frills boiler with thermal storage. And there are countless options in between.

For what it's worth you'll likely find that installing a wood fired appliance in your garage will not be code compliant in Michigan...

Many Gasifiers out there, I am a fan of the Greenwood/Seton designs ...you can probably get a decent price if you consider this route....spend a couple of days reading and researching, so much good info here, welcome...

i recently ordered a glenwood 7050 and intend to heat my house/guest house/ and shop with this as well as domestic hot water in main house and guest house. apprx 4000+ square feet.
I decided on glenwood after speaking to woody at obadiahs wood stoves, he has extensive experience and seemed to have credible reasons why the glenwood is fundamentally better than others... The other factor is.... the glenwood can be installed in my garage ( existing chimney stack from a previous wood stove)

The warranty seems to be the weakest link on a majority of these boilers. Give it a good read and if you can, have an expert review it and translate. They typically don't cover anything, even if they say that they do. There is language included in other sections of these warranties that provide a catch all for the manufacturer to provide any warranty work "at the manufacturers discretion", which usually means, "if they want to". OR, as in my case, ask if the boiler comes with a free mig welder...

The Weimar

Tarm has a sale going for their "bonus plus" model, very affordable at $3600 or there about.

I am having a hard time finding anyone that ownes a glennwood boiler. If there is someone with knowledge of these boilers can you let me know. I would like to know what kind of quility and if they are efficient. I will take suggestions on other brands too. I will be installing the boiler inside the house or in a garage. The sq.ft is 2500 +_hottub and dw. Also interested in gasifiers. Thanks
My glenwood boiler arrived last week and since i plan to install myself, i will be at it for a few weekends im sure... in any case... first reviews are good. It seems to be very well made and so far, the company and manufacturer have made good on every claim but its early soooooo.. i'll do some regular reviews as I get more experience with it.

Tarm has a sale going for their "bonus plus" model, very affordable at $3600 or there about.
Yes, you can't go wrong there: quality, proven unit at a good price.

Status
Not open for further replies.