Planting a new tree, what kind

• Active since 1995, Hearth.com is THE place on the internet for free information and advice about wood stoves, pellet stoves and other energy saving equipment.

We strive to provide opinions, articles, discussions and history related to Hearth Products and in a more general sense, energy issues.

We promote the EFFICIENT, RESPONSIBLE, CLEAN and SAFE use of all fuels, whether renewable or fossil.
Status
Not open for further replies.

struggle

Minister of Fire
Oct 24, 2006
NW Iowa
A ornamental tree went bottoms up on me over the last few years. I cut it down today and am in the process of digging out the stump. It is clear from the house and will be planted about 4' from the deck edge.

My thoughts where to get an oak tree. There are not a lot of them in my area. So educate me on them if you have an idea of what ones are most favored.

We currently have two large maples and two medium ash trees in the front and side of the house and a maple in the back yard so another maple is out of the question.

I am really after something that grows slow.

Red oak tree its leaves turn red in the fall noy just brown like white oak

I've been looking at the American Elm cultivars that have been brought out in the last 20 years or so. They are DED and Yellows resistant (pretty surprising test for them too) and are not hybrids.

Matt

Only thing I have against an Oak that close to your living space is they tend to rain sap in little tiny droplets. At least some do...Im familiar with all the varities of oak, but the one st my mother's house that hangs over part of the driveway has coated many a car in my lifetime.

Slow groing + ornamental?? My choice would be one of many varietals of Japanese Maple. Gorgeous color spring summer and fall, stays small and great leaf texture. Only downside is that they can be expensive. Oops you said Mape is out, what about a dog wood? nice flowers in spring.

I've to always been partial either Japanese Maple or a variety of Birch. With the Birch there are several different varities of the whiteness of the bark and whether or not the bark sheds or peels off the tree. The white bark would look good in contrast with the bright colors of the maples in autumn, color of the house, or spruces in the background....

I just cut out a large chunk of lawn and planted tree's and shrubs. What grows well here in MA. may not grow in your neck of the woods.

As a stickler for research prior to doing projects I highly recommend going to your library and checking out Dr. Michael A. Dirr book on tree's and shrubs. PS- Most library's let you order online and email you when the book is in.

Dirr's Hardy Trees and Shrubs (English)
(An Illustrated Encyclopedia - ISBN: 9780881924046)

Watch out for tree's (like dogwoods) with berries dropping on the deck.

I planted a few River Birches, however it fast growing. Its peeling bark gives it a interesting winter element.

Hold up, I just reread your post. The tree will be planted 4 feet from the deck. My goodness that's close. Forget the River Birch suggestion.

I went to the Iowa site and Red Oak seems to be a good one from what the site shows and is what I am leaning toward. Birch is not real popular around here. They do not seem to hold up to well after they get older and the few I see do not look that good.

I am just trying to keep away from Maple but the red does sound good.

The Red Oak is Iowa's State tree (and Jerzey's too).
It is a beautiful tree that grows fast and gets rather large, they say the trunk gets about 6-7 ft round. Pretty fall colors. Watch out for acorns popping on your head while chilling on the deck.

RED OAK it is. wife and I icke dit out tonight at Earl May. I am not to crazy about that place is it is kind of pricey but it was in stock and had a nice trunk and canopy on it.

I looked at the DNR section on Ioaw and see it is native to this area which is nice to plant something that belongs here.

I now have to wait for the stump digger to remove the old one and then we are good to go. Called before we dig as well.

Thanks for the input. I might just post a picture of it once done.

Status
Not open for further replies.